Skip to main content
Topic: up-bow, down-bow? (Read 17401 times) previous topic - next topic

up-bow, down-bow?

Where are the up-dow & down-bow symbols in NWC 1.75?

Re: up-bow, down-bow?

Reply #1
G'day seskanda,
NWC doesn't have up&down-bow symbols internally, BUT if you download the Boxmafk2 font from http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/helpful/boxmark2.zip and install it as a user font, you can place the markings as text.

Use lower case t and u for up and down respectively.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks. Now i need the artificial harmonic that looks like a diamond, which i cant find in Boxmark. Also, can i hear AND notate microtonal music in NWC?

Reply #3
G'day seskanda,
the diamond is there - use an underscore.  Better still, if you get a copy of "Typecase", it makes life very easy when selecting characters - far better  that the MS "charmap"

For microtonal music, Ertugrul is the guru - you can probably contact him via the newsgroup - assuming you've signed up.

You might also check the scripto...

Lawrie

Reply #4
Which underscore do you have in mind? The underscore is _ right? When i press that, the tenuto accent turns on. I didn't know you could import symbols from charmap to NWC, i tried it, but it won't work for me. How can i signup to the newsgroup?

Reply #5
G'day seskanda,
the boxmark font is used as text.  You cannot access the characters except by adding the font as a user font in page setup, then placing text entries using the user font you selected.

To place text, position the cursor where you want the text to be located, press <x> and follow the dialogue box...

There is a very good command reference here: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/command.html on the scripto.

It is well worth the read.

Access to the newsgroup is for registered users only and can be arranged automatically here: https://www.noteworthysoftware.com/newsgroup/signup.php

Lawrie

Reply #6
Actually, i was using it as text all along, but the problem is i have to re-load Boxmarks in NWC EVERY time i restart my computer; is there any way around this? And that link to signup to the newsgroup is dead, by the way.

Reply #7
G'day seskanda,
i was using it as text all along

You stated in an earlier post that using the underscore gave you a tenuto - this indicates you weren't inputting text at the time.

i have to re-load Boxmarks in NWC EVERY time i restart my computer

Actually, fonts are specified in song files, not in NWC the program.  If you want to have Boxmarks load automatically, either create or modify the template you use to create your new files to include Boxmarks as a user font.

that link to signup to the newsgroup is dead

Works for me - do you have a proxy or firewall between you and the internet that is blocking port 443 [https]?

Lawrie

Reply #8
Even behind our company firewall, and rules and regulations, I can find and use the page:

"Instructions for NoteWorthy Composer Private Newsgroup Access
Access to the NoteWorthy Composer NNTP newsgroup is only available to registered users of the NoteWorthy Composer program.  ... "

Reply #10
Hi, I just found how to add up-bow and down-bow marks in NWC2.75:

1) Press 'x' to insert Text anywhere on the staff
2) In 'Text' tab, under 'Display Font', select 'Staff Symbols - NWC2STDA'
3) Click the 'Char Map' button
4) In the popup window, click on the down-bow symbol, which is like a square without the bottom line
5) Then click on the up-bow symbol, which is like an elongated 'V'
6) Click 'Ok'
7) Copy and paste the symbols as required, make sure in the Text 'Placement' tab to assign 'Alignment/Placement' to 'At Next Note/Bar' so that it sits directly above the note concerned

Ian