Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworthy on a Notebook. (Read 7636 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworthy on a Notebook.

Well, I finally bought myself a notebook, and NWC runs perfectly on it. In fact the general viewing and clarity is better than on my PC. I use Wingroove as a driver, and the Notebook has Windows 98. If any of you are comsidering using NWC on a Notebook, make sure it has a TFT screen, and you can't go wrong! Thanks for the help in deciding on a Notebook, Eric.
Adam

Re: Noteworthy on a Notebook.

Reply #1
Yes, it is very useful to be able to take the music where I want to play it. But my "SoundBlaster Pro Compatible" sound card is not that great, and there is no way to upgrade it. I play piano pieces with a vocal line (using a flute). There is a choice of two drivers: FM synthesis produces an OK piano and a bad flute, or the other does a decent flute but a very dull sounding piano. Still, for me it is the only way to go.

Reply #2
In https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=457 'noel' was trying to connect up external MIDI and enquired about cabling etc. I now know he has a Compaq LTE notebook. Have either of you (Adam or Blair, or anyone else for that matter) interfaced your notebooks with MIDI instruments? Did you have any problems with connections? I'm sure noel would like to know, and as I'm getting a notebook this summer, I'd like to be forewarned of any problems before I buy.

Thanks, Peter.

PS Nice to know NWC runs perfectly - not that I would have expected otherwise from such a sound program! Thanks for the advice re TFT screen.

Reply #3
I havn't tried hooking up to midi with the notebook, but it does have a joystick port, so I suppose it should work. I was only using Wingroove on it, as that's the only sounds I needed, but I'll give it a try and let you know what happened.
Adam

Reply #4
I also have a note book computer that I use with the program.
It is a Compaq Presario 1210 notebook and I like being able to
move my computer around with me easily. It did not have a
joystick/midi port but I was able to locate a product by
Opcode which is a midi trasnlator to PC. It plugs into the
printer port instead and works great.

Reply #5
Howard,

I would be grateful for more details of the midi translator
by opcode. Do you know anything else about it.

How much ? Where ? net address ?

Thanks

Richard

Reply #6
The Notebook I bought has a joystick port on the back, so I plugged in a midi adapter cable, and it worked fine. The Notebook I bought was a cheapy second hand, but it seems to have evrything (and more) than my main desktop. I guess I was just lucky.
Adam

Reply #7
The Notebook I had bought did not have the joystick port. They offered me one that would plug into the PC Card slot but it was only for joysticks and not midi, that was why I went this way and had no problems.

Reply #8
I'm using Noteworthy on my Toshiba laptop and use Portman PC/P interface to connect via the printer port to my midi keyboard. Works great.

Reply #9
I'm using Noteworthy on my Toshiba laptop and use Portman PC/P interface to connect via the printer port to my midi keyboard. Works great.