Skip to main content
Topic: Preview 1w Shift+Ctrl+Home buglet (Read 7037 times) previous topic - next topic

Preview 1w Shift+Ctrl+Home buglet

Although not in the Keyboard Guide, Shift+Ctrl+Home moves to the current horizontal position on the topmost visible staff. If already on the topmost staff, it just vertically homes the cursor.

But, if there is a selection, highlighting is not canceled. F9 or toggling layering fixes the display.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Preview 1w Shift+Ctrl+Home buglet

Reply #1
First behaviour: confirmed, in my view. But nothing happens when pressing Ctrl-Shift-Home again when on the first staff. Good thing; I would not want that.
Not surprisingly, Ctrl-Shift-End moves to the other end: bottom staff.

Reply #2
G'day Rick,
Interestingly, this behaviour is identical to <Ctrl-Home> and <Ctrl-End> which is documented in the Keyboard Guide.

However, I can't confirm the problem with highlighting - perhaps this is a video driver issue that is leaving artifacts behind?

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I confirm that the Shift key prevents the selection on the bottom staff from being cleared.

Reply #4
Further testing indicates:
Ctrl+Home works the same as Shift+Ctrl+Home

Ctrl+Home does not handle a selection properly.

If on the top staff and the cursor is not at position 0
Ctrl+Home will move it to position 0

Contrast this with:
PgUp, Ctrl+PgUp, Shift+PgUp, and Shift+Ctrl+PgUp
which are all properly ignored when pressed while on the top staff.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
It looks as if there might be an opportunity here.  I can foresee a time when I might want to block out a few bars in one staff, and then move up or down to another staff, with the corresponding notes and rests also blocked.  This might be, for instance, when I want to colour some bars that I will want to delete on several staffs, or to copy on several staffs.  If the block doesn't clear, that might be exactly what is needed.

Also, if Ctrl-Home will move up to the top staff, maybe Shift-Ctrl-Home could be used to move to the bottom visible staff.  There may be times when that is desirable, although other users may, like me, work top down, leaving the last staff shorter than the others until most others are already complete.  Maybe a good idea, maybe not.

Reply #6
Hmm, it appears that in my sleepy state I failed to realise that the work I was testing in has staves below the bottom of the screen and that I was testing in such a way that a screen redraw was necessary, thus the selection disappeared.

On retesting I find that <Ctrl-Home> works the same way as <Shift-Ctrl-Home> and does leave artifacts behind provided the screen does not need a redraw to display the new cursor position.

<Ctrl-End> and <Shift-Ctrl-End> do not seem to be leaving artifacts.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.