Skip to main content
Topic: 2 problems I want to fix (Read 7450 times) previous topic - next topic

2 problems I want to fix

1) On my computer, when I go online and play a midi file, I want to put it in NWC, but each time I open a new file the Synth volume goes to to it's lowest and I have to keep turning it up each time I open it,. Then I want to go back to the midi file, but then again, the volume is at it's lowest. How do I fix this.

2)When I highlight a staff or more, and I click somewhere else, the staves I have selected first turn into a solid block of pitch black, and then turns white if i move somewhere else agian. This happens not often but alot of times.

Re: 2 problems I want to fix

Reply #1
1. ... you go back to the Midi file. Did you import it in Noteworthy, and so you went from the sound volume settings back to Noteworthy?

2. I do not see this happening when I try. It might be a video driver problem. Happens all the time: see other recent forum additions.

Reply #2
I put it in the wrong context. Ooops.  meant to say transcribe a midi file, NOT to put it in NWC. I played one with windows media player, then I went to NWC and the volume was lowest.

Reply #3
I'm afraid I am out of options, here. It is not exactly an NWC problem, is it? I have another question: did you try this?
- Open the Sound Volume Controller, using the icon, or by running sndvol32.exe
- Open the program that appears to influence the midi/sound settings. Run it in a window, so you will still see the Sound Volume Controller.
Do you see settings changing at a certain point? This will at least give you an idea what is happening, and when.

Reply #4
I found out that it does it without NWC too.
When I prees pause on my media player, the synth volume contoller drops in a blink of the eye. That fast. I also found that it does it an my Mom's computer, so it must be just windows.

Reply #5
Very strange. Mr. Spock would definitely raise one eyebrow.

I cannot think of anyone who has ever encountered this problem. A long shot: it might be the CD you used for installing Windows!
I hope there are other forum members who can add their opinion, because I am running low on suggestions.

Reply #6
There is some confusion here. You say 'transcribe' ? Do you mean record? And is this from live on line midi music?Have you saved or downloaded the midi file? or are you trying to do it on the fly?

Reply #7
Yes from online Midi files, Mostly vidoe game music. I listen to each pitch and put it in my version of piano notation in NWC.....But if I press stop..not pause, the volume doesn't go down. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Reply #8
So you're taking down notes by dictation and making a score in noteworthy? Why don't you record the piece as it plays and then write down the notes or phrases as it plays using whatever recorders or players you have on the PC. You can pause as often as you like then and no levels will change.

Reply #9
Most reasonable suggestions have already been covered. This is not a standard windows issue.
The volume problem sounds like conflicts are being caused by something else, such as multimedia keyboard with vol control ?

Have you tried playing the midi file with Van Basco ?
Right click anywhere on the player to go into Setup. Try different output devices
Possibly choose another synth for play back from list of available devices. Or download and install another synth.

Also, it may make it easier if you were able to download the midi, then import it into NWC.
Many midis are not offered for download, but if you are playing them from online, using Internet Explorer, they are quite easy to find and retrieve using Windows Explorer.
As you play the midi from the online source, it usually creates a temp file on the pc.

In windows 98, or similar, the default location is
c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\  then in the many sub-folders with odd names.
or possibly at c:windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ sub-folders

In XP, each user account creates their own temp internet files, located at
c:\Documents and Settings\User account name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Just open the folder(s), click on 'Type' at the head of the Type column, this will place all the files in type order, it will bunch them, make them easy to find. Midi files will be listed as 'Multimedia File'
Just copy them all to a folder, play them to find the one you want.

Reply #10
  • NWC does not take any steps to reset the volume of any device in your system. However, there is other software "out there" that does reset the system volume for some audio devices. Perhaps you have some of this software on your system.

• This kind of thing happens when you have a buggy display driver on your system. You might try the suggestions found here:

faq #77: Disappearing Staff Lines