Skip to main content
Topic: Translation...? (Read 9028 times) previous topic - next topic

Translation...?

I just wanted to know if there are any plans on translating NWC to other languages other than English?

Either that, or (preferred) in the future if it would be possible to have users translate it using say, a simple INI file, which many (mostly freeware) apps allow these days; usually you can alter the language used while the app runs. That sort of thing.

For an example of what I mean, take a look at PSPad:
http://www.pspad.com/en/
My fav text editor.

Re: Translation...?

Reply #1
If and when it is done, I will do my share.
Consider the Dutch translation done.

Reply #2
Same here!
Consider the German and/or Swedish one done.
Possibly even the Danish, if need be.
/Sebastian

Reply #3
[Sebastian Schleussner]

> Consider the German and/or Swedish one done.

Så, du talar svenska? :-) Då kanske vi kan hjälpas åt med en eventuell, framtida översättning?

Reply #4
> Så, du talar svenska? :-)
> Då kanske vi kan hjälpas åt med en eventuell, framtida översättning?

Javisst, absolut! ;-)
(Jag bor & doktorerar i Uppsala.)
/Sebastian

Reply #5
Hur kontaktar vi varandra om/då det blir dags?
Min IT-adress, om du har intresse: quivis snabel-a spray punkt se
Kanske dumt att bli alltför verbal på ett "främmande" språk i detta forum. Folk kanske undrar vad vi snackar om... ;-)

Reply #6
Ahu pe mansai las ma rohangku molo adong sarana penerjemahan!

mauliate/Thanks.

Reply #7
I had one of them but the wheels fell off... :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Hej, Pär och Sebastian,

Jag är inte Svensk men har jag en få ord - som en barn.  Ni har en vackert land, har jag resat till Sverige fyra gång.  Jag har släkingar i Stockholm, Gräsmark, Iggesund, Sundsvall och Härnösand.

David i Delta

(To those who don't read Swedish, this message is off topic, just a personal hello to those who converse in a language I started to learn in 1990.  I apologize if I'm being rude.)

Reply #9
Hi David,
no worries mate - I just couldn't resist the opportunity to be a smart alec...

Reminds me - I have a rather funny story about my father and one of his customers and mixing languages that I must relate someday - not now though, it's a bit long winded...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
[David Palmquist]
> Jag är inte Svensk men har jag en få ord - som en barn.
> Ni har en vackert land, har jag resat till Sverige fyra gång.
> Jag har släkingar i Stockholm, Gräsmark, Iggesund, Sundsvall
> och Härnösand.

Is this "Gräsmark" in the northern parts of the province "Värmland?" If this is the case, then I'm currently living not too far from there, in Karlstad (http://tinyurl.com/9w8dj).

Reply #11
Yes, Värmland.  My farfar came from there.  Many Gräsmark descendants live in North America, getting together  once a year in Minnesota.

Duke Ellington performed in Karlstad, probably with Alice Babs.  You wouldn't have attended the performance, would you? (I will look up details after work today).

Reply #12
[David Palmquist]
> Duke Ellington performed in Karlstad, probably with Alice Babs.
> You wouldn't have attended the performance, would you?
> (I will look up details after work today).

He, he. :-)  No, _I_think_ that was before my time. :-) I found an on-line PDF which mentions a recording session Alice Babs had with Ellington back in '73, but it doesn't mention whether this took place in Karlstad or not. Besides, I'm not that keen on jazz anyway, so I don't think I would have bought any tickets.

Reply #13
I had the pleasure of meeting Ms Babs at the international Ellington Study Group conference in Stockholm last year, and found her to be charming.  Beautiful voice.  After Duke performed with her in Sweden, he invited her to Paris for a special recording session, for which he wrote music specifically for her.  He featured her in recordings of his sacred music.

Ellington eschewed the word jazz.  He wrote music.  The music was a function of his abilities with composition, of course, but also his ability to bring out the best in his sidemen, and his ability to take their ideas and build them into wonderful songs.

Bari sax/bass clarinetist Harry Carney joined him in 1927 at age 17, and stayed for the rest of their lives, both dying in 1974.  When trumpeter Cootie Williams returned to the band after an absence of 20 years, he is quoted as saying he came back for the music.  Young Johnny Hodges joined in 1928, and except for 4 years when he went out on his own, stayed with Ellington until he died in 1970.

Ellington's music is considered to be jazz, but as I say, he didn't accept the terminology.  I encourage you to step outside the bounds of whichever musical genre is your forte, and take a chance on Duke.  His music was always miles ahead of his contemporaries - he would compose all night, after playing 3 shows in an evening.  He would sleep during the day, and have his band play the new material the next evening.  On the road constantly, he kept his band together even after the big band era was over, so he could continue to write for it.

Listen to his music from an academic viewpoint, and you'll appreciate what he did.  There are sounds he produced with 5 reeds, 3 to 5 trumpets and cornets, 3 trombones and a rhythm section that nobody knew how to match.  He invented chords that nobody could replicate.  He used unconventional voicings, such as trombone playing higher than trumpet and clarinet, to produce magic.

Nobody knows yet how many compositions he wrote, but it's thought to be in the order of 2 to 3 thousand.  There are many biographies about him, many studies of his music, indeed Berklee has a course on his music and I know UBC taught it as well.

Sorry, I'm running on a bit.  You can learn more about the man and his music on the web.  Check my webpage http://ellingtonweb.ca for over 600 links to Ellington.

Reply #14
First of all, sorry for my long absence. quite busy those months.

About a French version, consider it quite done already. Including consistent quick keys with English version, at least up to 1.55b... I didn't work on that (personal) project since this version.
Total Commander (formerly named Windows Commander) is also a typical example of multi-languages application. I've even made a "[abbr=use of the tu, singular "you", which denotes familiarity, contrary to all other applications I know.]tutoiement[/abbr]" version of it.

Reply #15
Don't take this too lightly, guys. This is only a part of the menu,
and the whole hog has to be translated! And there's (lots) more; there are at least 150 menu entries.
(it's quite easy to extract the text from the Exe...)

New File (Ctrl+N) - Open an existing song composition
Open File (Ctrl+O) - Save the current composition
Save File (Ctrl+S) - Save the current composition to a specified file
Save File As - Saves any compositions which have been changed
Save All Files - Revert back to the saved version of the active score
Revert to Saved - Closes the current composition
Close File (Ctrl+F4) - Import and convert a non-NWC music file
Import File - Export the current work to non-NWC music file
Export File - View and change the Title, Author, and Copyright info for the composition
Authoring Info (Ctrl+I) - Quit this session
Exit Program (Alt+F4) - Cycle dotted note parameter
Cycle Dotted Duration ( . ) - Review the MIDI assignments in the score
Score Review - Open a recent song
Open a recent song - Create or apply a custom tool to the notation
User Tools (Alt+F8) - Used to find items in the staff using criteria you specify

Everyone still in business? You can make a start! But your efforts will only be rewarded if and when a language-sensitive version will be available. No plans exist at the moment, I presume.

Reply #16
I prefer menus and help texts in proper English rather than poor Swedish. No matter how good you are at translating, at some point you come across a definition or reference to within the program that will only add to the confusion if it is translated. On the other hand, as long as one can select between several languages, I would not argue.

What I could find useful is an accompanying dictionary of musical terms used within NoteWorthy Composer, and how they translate to each language.

ps: Jepp, jag talar svenska också!

Reply #17
To keep our English speaking friends in this forum happy, I will use English instead of Swedish, even though I'm responding to a fellow Swede...I seem to recall my native tongue raised some laughs the last time I used it... ;-)

I feel just as frustrated, when having to endure poorly translated English, as I understand you are; the worst, by far, can be found on Swedish television, but I assume you are aware of this fact.

However, if you read (again?) my first post to the forum about this feature, you will see that I (for one) would prefer to allow foreign languages to be added to NWC in the form of a simple INI file, then it would be up to the user to either use it, or not. The user could even improve on the translation if there is something that doesn't meet his or her standards.

You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but my neighbor, who suffers from the aftermath of a minor stroke a couple of years ago, might. He's a professional musician/arranger who uses NWC for most of the notation work he does, but due to his handicap his wife has to help him with some of the work since he cannot understand much English anymore.

Personally I think the ability to switch to another language would make NWC even more desirable among those who don't understand English at all, or very little, but instead are forced to choose from some of the much more expensive, and usually inferior, software that are already translated.

Even the British might like the idea. Then they could have their semi demi brevi or whatever they like to call their notes... ;-)

But first things first. The feature has to be added before any of this will be up for discussion... :-)

Reply #18
I am agree. It would be nice to have the Nothworthy Composer to be translated in forein languages.

Reply #19
I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of different translations. I would be more than happy (as a semi-professional translator) to help with a Dutch translation (although I am not a programmer).

Jan J.H.Hofland