Skip to main content
Topic: VST? (Read 8214 times) previous topic - next topic

VST?

I am very fond of Noetworthy and since I am more familiar with a score than piano-roll notation, I find myself working in NW then having to move to a sequenser like Cubasis to make use of VST instruments.

Has there been any discussion about adding a VST interface to NW? Or perhaps there is a practical way to do it with midi loopbacks?

Do people think this would be a good idea or is it taking the product
along the wrong path?

I am a great NW fan I just wish I could go a step further with it

Steve

Re: VST?

Reply #1
Many of us may never have heard of VST. Count me as one of them.

On http://www.steinbergusers.com/vst/vst.php , for instance, there is information on VST (even though they say 'Stienberg' in the next sentence):

Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is an audio plug-in architecture that was invented by Steinberg in 1996.

So now, back to the question? Being ignorant in the matter (in the French sense of the word) I leave it to others.

Reply #2
I've been trying to work through a similar problem.  I recently purchased an E-mu sound card with their Proteus X package and the sounds are amazing.  I was looking for a serious upgrade from the cheezy onboard sound chip that is unable to handle heavy duty polyphonic play back.  I can't seem to route the midi out from NW to the Proteus software and allow NW to talk to the Proteus.  My midi keyboard talks to the Proteus and I can route the onboard sound chip throught the E-mu board, which makes it sound 100% better, but still cheezy.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply #3
I assume you know that the free audio editor "Audacity" has a limited capability to handle some VST modules, via plug-ins.

It seems that VST capability requires licensing. This does not seem to be the kind of thing that would be likely to appear in NWC.

Reply #4
Oh if Licencing we required I could see that would be a problem for a package such as Noteworthy.

I can use midi loopback (loopbe) to allow the output from noteworthy to drive the inputs to Cubasis and this may work in the case of the Proteus.

What I tend to do is work up a score in midi and then export it and import it to cubasis and work up the sounds from there - its easier.

Steve

Reply #6
Thanks Steve for the info.  I had already read the first link and figured I'd have to use something like a software midi loopback.  I'll read up on the LoopBe and let you know if I can get it to work.

Reply #7
The LoopBe program worked.  I am routing the midi out from NW into the Proteus.  My brass quintets aren't cheezy anymore.  Now if I could just get it to play it like I play it I'll be happy....

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Reply #8
I normally use Midi Yoke as my virtual midi port, but you can't use Gigastudio if you have Midi Yoke installed.  Does anybody know if LoopBe is compatible with Gigastudio, please?

Reply #9
Glad to have helped.

"My brass quintets aren't cheezy anymore. Now if I could just get it to play it like I play it I'll be happy...."

We are going off topic now, but my daughter is an excellent  horn player in a british-style brass band (in fact 3 of us play brass to some degree) so a lot of the things we have done with noteworthy in the past has been brass arrangements (its only me who plays with wacky synths).

I have an audigy which I bought for the same reason you bought your E-mu. I have still never found a decent brass sound or soundfont that gets anywhere near the sound of a brass band, and I would be interested to find one.

Hope it all works well for you

Steve

Reply #10
Hi Steve,
I too am looking for a decent brass font.  If'n you ever find one please let me know.

Another alternative... As you have access to a brass band... Perhaps you could gather some samples of real horns.  I've never created a sound font but perhaps if we ask really nicely someone else on the forum may be able to help.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
"I too am looking for a decent brass font. If'n you ever find one please let me know."

Have you tried cadenza?
I have patched the cadenza brass into the standard GM font - although it did need tweaking (in Vienna) otherwise it over powers everything else.

Tina

Reply #12
Hi Tina,
is there any place you can post your modified version.  I'd love to try it!

Otherwise (says Lawrie breaking the posting rules) you could always email it to me...  Sorry Eric.

Lawrie

Reply #13
Lawrie, I've mailed you the details of where to find it.

Tina

Reply #14
Tina, replied via email... thanks!

Lawrie

Reply #15
hi

I dont know if I can do this or not, what would you need to create a soundfont?

Is it a tenor horn (alto sax horn) sample you are looking for?

Steve

Reply #16
Sorry - I think that was probably a transatlantic  language problem - by "horns" did you mean all the instruments?

I doubt I could get the band to give me all the time required for this

Steve

Reply #17
Hi Steve,
sorry - I used "horn" in a generic sense meaning any/all the instruments in the band.

I have been very frustrated in trying to find a realistic sounding brass font.  They all seem just wrong somehow but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is...

As for creating a soundfont... To be honest, I don't know exactly what would be required...

I guess several samples from each instrument - perhaps each partial from the bottom C with all valves up/trom in 1st position - C, G, C, E, G, C - and maybe even further up if you have someone who can push a trumpet and a trombone up into the stratosphere :)

It would be good to have a real Fluegel Horn and Cornet to call on as well as a large bore Euphonium, Tenor Horn of course and a Baritone and especially a REAL trombone sound.

You would need to capture the attack correctly and have enough of the held note to enable a loop to be created for sustained notes.

The next step would probably be to ensure it was exactly in tune...

Then into Vienna with all the samples...

I really am guessing as I've never done this.

I think it would be a lot of work so don't enter into it lightly, or expect a quick result.

Lawrie

Reply #18
I know exactly how you feel, the fonts never blend together to get that warmth that you get from a real band.

I really dont think I have the equipment or the time to do justice to all the instruments though. Sorry - we'll have to keep looking.

Steve

Reply #19
Sorry I hadn't gotten back.  Been exploring my new toy now that it's working.

I bought the Emu Proteus package and the base package comes with thousands (?) of sounds.  By and large the package is geared toward contemporary pop sounds - there are dozens of drum kits and hundreds of different keyboards available.  A couple of really nice pianos not including the stand alone studio grand - awsome.  As it is there is some really nice sampled brass.  However, they are limited.  I haven't found a Horn or tuba.  Still looking.  If you have a PC that will handle it, I'd recommend the package - it is well worth the money.