Skip to main content
Topic: Print preview (Read 3925 times) previous topic - next topic

Print preview

When I preview a new composition to check the format, I  make adjustments (to margins; staff height; font size; etc )to ensure that, in the preview window, the music fits into an exact number of pages.  Having checked that all is satisfactory I then save the file and proceed to print.  Frequently I then find that although the preview indicates a (for example) 2 page print the printed copy comes out with the last staff on page three and I am obliged to re-adjust.

Is there some further step I should take to ensure that what the preview page shows is what I will get from the printer?

I use NWC version 1.75b; my printer is a Brother HL-1430 laser printer.

Re: Print preview

Reply #1
If you make any change to the printer setup after you preview, this problem will occur.  "Any change" can mean:
- Your printer is not the default, so you have to select it when you go to print
- Your printer defaults to "normal" quality, but you decide you want a higher or lower quality.

If neither of these are happening, then this is a truly peculiar problem.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #2
Thank you.

I will see if this is the reason.

Reply #3
Since I upgraded (?) from Windows 98 to Windows XP, my HP DeskJet 840C no longer obeys me as well as it used to do, and I find that "what I see" is not always "what I get".  In some applications, including NWC, it insists on defaulting to Letter size (instead of A4 which is what I normally use), and this certainly messes up any carefully worked out pagination.

Reply #4
You might try going to Settings, Printers (or Settings, Control Panel, Printers), and setting your default printer settings there.

Reply #6
Thanks John!
I should have thought of that - and it didn't take long either.  My printer now retains my default settings instead of reverting to Bill Gates's every time I re-boot  :-))
Graham