Skip to main content
Topic: Editing lyrics (Read 13157 times) previous topic - next topic

Editing lyrics

I have searched and read everything I could find here on editing lyrics and found a old entry concerning cursor position.
I am using a trial version 1.70 and the problem I have may have been fixed.
When editing lyrics:
Can I select or place the curson on a word then go to edit/lyric and have the cursor be in the proper place for editing?

Thanks for any help

Re: Editing lyrics

Reply #2
And you are right.
But there is some self help possible. Mix some markers into the text, at the first words of (some) sentences, like this.
This is the first lyric line
And this is the second
changes into
(1)This is the first lyric line
(2)And this is the second
at a few strategic places. Especially with repeating lyrics it can help you greatly to establish where exactly you need to edit.
hope this helps,
Rob.

Reply #3
Some time ago I posted an entry on the wish list for this matter.
Maybe you should do the same, and hopefully with you many others.

Gust

Reply #4
The problem with Rob's method is that you can't insert words into the lyric without them behaving as if they are part of the lyric.

When I use the lyric editor for chord names, I generally just leave a couple of blank lines (enter,enter) between choruses.  This works adequately, but not ideally.  Part of the problem is that the lyric editor text window isn't big enough, so everything wraps.

A partial answer is to write your lyric in another text program, then paste it into the l/e, but this still doesn't do what James wishes.

Reply #5
A trick I use for editing,entering and accessing lyrics was on forum about 6 months ago with the title "Multiple Line Lyrics Tip". Maybe of help.

Reply #6
Heyyyy... My method does work, and it does not create extra words, if you leave out spaces! Simply *change* a word into the same word preceded by (1), without inserting a space between the (1) and the word! Add extra _ 's to taste.
Same with (2) and such ;-)

Reply #7
Gotcha, Rob!

I didn't say your method added extra words, I said it behaved like part of the lyric.  (I was right, but only because I accidentally didn't write what you understood me to write!)

I made a mistake once before, I think it was in early 1959; my mistake then was that I thought I was wrong but I was actually right. (grin)

What's needed is a means to have invisible text in the lyric.

Reply #8
Got meself, there, old pal. I hit the Submit-button in the Oh No-second. Know that one? It is the Enter-button, when you type 'rm -r *' in Unix, or 'del *.* /y' on the wrong directory in a Dos-session in Windows. Sort of.
I mean: right after submitting I looked again at your text, and knew what you meant - a bit too late.
Anyway, it is a way of steering along when you are busy entering and aligning the lyrics. But it is a workaround - very much so. Entering Ctrl-L and being right at the right syllable would be a real blessing.

Reply #9
So put it on the wish list !