Skip to main content
Topic: Am I running out of room or memory?? (Read 5979 times) previous topic - next topic

Am I running out of room or memory??

When I have my music the way I want it, I save it and print it. But sometimes after I do this, it prints out differently than it first appeared in the print preview. Almost like I am short on ram or maybe the file folder I keep all my songs in is full.

What do you think? Thanks, Fawn

Re: Am I running out of room or memory??

Reply #1
One thing: it has nothing to do with full folders. A folder is full when the disk on which it resides is full (well, not on all systems and in all circumstances, but on Windows 98, 2000, XP is pretty much holds true)
The print preview may not be exactly the same as the actual print. Other threads have recently mentioned differences. Can you give more information on the differences you see? How big are they, and how important?

Reply #2
You're not previewing it and then printing with with a printer other than the default printer, are you? Differences in the print driver and the print resolution cause the notation to be slightly different and may cause it to be two pages instead of one, or something similar.  You can tell how much space you have by going to "My Computer" either from the desktop or the start menu and clicking on your hard drive.  If you have more than 2 GB of free space you should be a-okay.  You can't really run out of ram, because windows automatically just starts using a part of your disk as ram.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #3
Check to make sure your printer is using the same size paper as indicated in your print setup dialogue.  If you set the program for A4 but actually use letter size, you'll get an unintended result.

Reply #4
It is not the printer. I have been using this printer on this computer for over a year. ...Ok, for instance, I have finished the song. I check it in the print preview. All looks fine, everything in place. But, when it prints, a measure or so is all out of whack and either above or below where it had been in the print preview. Then I have to bump everything around and that sometimes fixes it but then it MIGHT not.

Reply #5
G'day Fawn,

...But, when it prints, a measure or so is all out of whack and either above or below where it had been in the print preview.

Umm, what do you mean here?  Above or below - do you mean it (the entire bar [measure]) has moved to the system (staff) above or below?  Or are the contents of the bar [measure] moving around within the same basic location?

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
ok, let me try to explain like this... Let's say I have a lead line staff. I want 5 lines of staff on the printed page. I want 3 measures on each line. So there are 15 total measures. I go to print AFTER seeing it the way I want it in preview. BUT it prints 2 lines with 3 measures and in the 3rd line it prints 4 measures and the 5th line is short a measure. (BUT it was ok in the print preview before I printed it.) If this is WAY too confusing I can email a sample of what I mean.  Thanks, Fawn

Reply #7
Ok, that sounds a bit odd, I've never seen the printed result differ from print preview on my system.

Try this for a work around:

Select each 3rd barline and change its properties to include a system break.  E.G

Highlight barline, <Alt-Enter>, <Alt-F>, <Enter>

This will force a system break every 3rd barline thus forcing 3 bars per system.

As for the real problem: If the Windows OS is NT based (NT, Win2k, WinXP) then there are several locations where the printers default paper size can be edited.  Ensure they are ALL the same, either US Letter or A4, whatever is appropriate for where you are.

The places to check are:
Printing Preferences (Right click menu on the printer)
Device Settings (In the printer properties)

PLUS, explore a little - NT based printer management is NOT as straight forward as it seems nor as it should be!

You might also check margin settings...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Most strange... preview and print should match, within very small margins. Can you mail me a file? To rddenheijerOLD@PAINTversatel.nl (and remove OLD PAINT, of course!) so I can see if the same happens when I try?

Reply #9
I had 2 printers installed. One is NOT connected to the computer. I deleted it in the event that could cause a problem. I'm going to work a song and see if that might have fixed it. If not, then I will email a copy to have you look at it. Thanks.  F

Reply #10
I am not impartial... any fawn-like creature has extra credits to start with ;-)

Reply #11
I deleted one of the printers. That seems to have helped. I have worked on 2 songs and no problems yet. Thanks all.
Fawn

Reply #12
One more thing: if you're printer defaults to "Normal" quality or the like and you print with "Draft" or "Economy," the printout will be different.  You would have to change the default setting to "Draft" to see what you'll get on paper.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI