Skip to main content
Topic: Making records (Read 4574 times) previous topic - next topic

Making records

I am facinated by the possibility that the music created
using NWC might be enjoyed by others via a CD or tape.
How does one get started in the "electronic recording" business?
Has anyone out there had their midi files recorded
professionally? What kind of costs are associated with
this kind of endeavor? Am I just dreaming? Should I just   
record this music on a cassette tape myself? Does anyone   
actually buy midi-music?   

Chuck

Re: Making records

Reply #1
Mitsumi CD recorders are around the net at $259 and dropping if you are interested in one disc at a time recording.

Reply #2
We used midi for our book of dulcimer music (A Bag of Sticks) so that people could practice with the solo part on one side and music-minus-one on the other (or turn the balance into the centre for the whole thing). This was a very cheap arrangement for us (we "played" to DAT tape and then used it as the master for multiple tape recordings).
The upshot? Most people said they'd prefer "live" music.
And this was for a _practice_ tape!

Andrew

Reply #3
I am myself toying with the idea of using Noteworthy as accompaniment for an album my father will be doing soon. (He is a Pedal Steel Guitar player) As newer and more fascinating midi tools are being added, the idea is getting closer to our grasp. I think if you used a good midi synthesizer, and a good recording setup, I believe the basic band could (mind you I say 'could') be quite close to the real thing. I think as long as the guitar and other such instruments are 'real', it NWC could lend itself to being quite a good, trusting, 'Noteworthy' band. And at least they won't play wrong notes! :-)
Adam

Reply #4
Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. The problem
I see is that many people do not think midi music is worth
a listen. Real instruments are certainly better. But is
there a market for Midi-created music? From the responses
I have received, I would think not. Perhaps with the right
composer and recording company a market could be carved out.
There seems to be a niche for every other kind of music
imaginable... so why not Midi music?

Reply #5
There a are several commercial Midi marketeers.
Mainly in the vocal accomp. area with backing tracks for vocalists.
So there must be a commercial market, particularly if the backing track comes with player software that will allow transposition of all voices to the key of the performer.
Another market may be in improvisation to a rhythm backing although I guess Band-in-a-Box fills this niche.
In education there is scope for including multi track Midis with band and orchestral scores to allow students to mute their part and rehearse in play along mode but this is probably only an option for publishers.
Conversion of Midi to digital audio for recording seems limited there is no great gain in fidelity and file size limits transportability.
Mechanical music remains mechanical regardless of it's source.
There is not enough inflection, feeling or subtlty in the performance despite arranger efforts to build that in.
Anyhow!...as a musician I prefer live performance - mistakes and all. At least you know it's live.

Best of Luck if you try.

Regards

Barry

Reply #6
From my experience, most pop music is done with midi.
The advantage of NoteWorthy for real musicians is that it displays the chords for you while it plays.

Reply #7
Chuck,

You say that real instruments are certainly better. Although some traditional instruments are difficult to synthesise accurately, even with extensive sound sampling, nevertheless many are well served. Does an electronic Piano perform worse than an acoustic instrument costing the same or even more? I reckon in many cases it is better and certainly more versatile, not only can it put on different 'hats', but it's a lot easier to carry around than a baby Grand! As x says, much pop music relies almost entirely on synthesisers, all of which use MIDI, and as Andrew Purdam (above) and John Roache (see https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=506) have proved, MIDI certainly has a place in transcription as well as reproduction. In 1995 an upmarket English notation program (Sibelius 7 see http://www.sibelius-software.com only on Acorn computers) gave an acclaimed public performance of fiendishly difficult piano pieces by Gyorgy Ligeti at London's Royal Academy of Music - this was broadcast world wide.

If they can do it, so can you, so go for it, Chuck, and good luck!

Reply #8
Dear Chuck,

Good music is music that is played well ,be it electronic or acoustic . Today,s advancement of technology is helping Midi music to be more acceptable . The source may be electronic but remember there is a musician behind the music.midi music is one more dimension and universe of music making that is the future .

Best of luck in your music making. I am a jazz pianist and an electronic keyboard player.

Regards ,

Louis