Skip to main content
Topic: Beginner problems (Read 2272 times) previous topic - next topic

Beginner problems

I need help with the Bass clef keys. I keep getting them all mixed up! Can someone hel me?

Re: Beginner problems

Reply #1
We could, maybe... but could you first state the problem a bit clearer? Where exactly is the problem? Can't you get the notes straight whey you are writing something on a staff with a bass clef, or is it the bass clef itself that's troubling you?

Re: Beginner problems

Reply #2
Taylor, in traditional Western music, the sharps and flats always come in the same order, no matter which clef they're in.

Sharps are added in this sequence:
F# C# G# D# A# E# B#.
The structure of a major scale is such that if you start on the note that is above the last sharp in the key signature, you will always get a tone tone semitone tone tone tone semitone progression.

F# indicates G major, whose notes are G, A, B, C, D, E, F# and G.  If the last sharp in the key signature is D#, the major scale is E major, whose notes are F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E.  Visualizing both scales on a piano keyboard, you will see the same number of keys for each step on the scale "staircase."

Flats are added in the reverse order, i.e., Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb, Fb.  The major keys take their names from the second-last flat, so Db major has Bb, Eb, Ab, Db and Gb.

While the sharps and flats are always written in the same order, they are placed a line or a space lower in the bass clef, because the bottom line of the bass clef is G, but the bottom lne of the treble clef is E.  An F# appears on the 5th (top) line of the treble clef, but on the 4th line of the bass clef.  A Bb is on the middle line in treble clef, but on the second line of the bass clef.

Does this answer your question?