Skip to main content
Topic: Input Selection (Read 7206 times) previous topic - next topic

Input Selection

I'm using a Casio CTK-573 keyboard and a Midiman USB Midisport 2x2 as a midi connector and I installed the software and everything. So when I go to the options for recording, we it asks me to select an input device nothing is there. I put the cable in the correct way they should be in. I need help!

Re: Input Selection

Reply #1
Hi Joe,
I'm not familiar with the Midiman product, but it does sound like a driver issue.

When you insert the Midiman into a USB port do you get notification that it has been identified and is it identified correctly?

Ahh, that reminds me!  What version of Windows?  Do you have other USB devices working?

Win95 and USB is troublesome at best, an abject failure at worst!  Win98 is not bad if you have Second Edition, but the original release is the one Bill had "blue screen" at that infamous launch when the USB scanner (I think it was) was connected - which is to say - not great  :).

WinME is a disaster at best though its' USB support is the best of the Win9x releases.

WInNT 4 does _not_ support USB, Win2k (NT5) is largely OK and WinXP (NT5.1) is pretty good at USB.

If you are running Win98SE, WinME, Win2k or WinXP then I would look at the driver.  Any other version is probably not gonna work.

The important question is: Do you get notification on insertion of the USB cable?

If not then try another kind of USB device and see if you get notification for that.

If you do then it is likely that your USB subsystem is itself OK and the driver is a likely culprit.  Otherwise there is something more fundamental that needs attending to.

Hope this helps,
Lawrie

Reply #2
I'm using WinXP and my brother just helped me and now I can playback music onto my piano but now I can't record.

Reply #3
Hi again Joe,
OK, just to be sure I'm hearing what you're saying...

You plug in all the gear, start NWC and go to:
Tools | Options | Record tab.

On the record tab you have a drop down box for your input device.  You're saying that the Midiman interface is not showing in the input device drop down list?

Note that it would be the Midiman interface listed, _not_ the Casio keyboard.

Am I right so far?  If so then I'm pretty certain there is a driver issue of some kind.

Lawrie

Reply #4
I'm an excellent driver.

Dad let's me drive slow on the driveway every Saturday. 'Course the seats were originally brown leather now they're a pitiful red.

Reply #5
Dad let's me drive slow
Dad lets me drive slowly

Reply #6
Actually, slow is a perfectly good adverb (one of a small group of dual form adverbs), as the injuction "Go slow" illustrates.  To quote Fowler (Modern English Usage):

In spite of the encrouchments of -ly (see unidiomatic -ly), slow maintains itself as at least an idiomatic possibility under some conditions even in the positive ("how slow he climbs!", "please read very slow", "my watch goes slow"), while in the comparative & superlative slower & slowest are usually preferable to more & most slowly....

Reply #7
Graham, did you deliberately not finish your sentence with a
[abbr=I'm reminded of glass houses and stones.]period[/abbr]?

Reply #8
I deliberately did not finish the sentence because the original sentence did not finish at that point PERIOD
I was going mainly for the use of let's vs. lets.

Reply #9
That clear's that one up then !

Reply #10
Slow:
One of the strange signs you can see in England has 'Slow racehorses' on it. Although it's quite clear what is meant, I still find it funny. But this one is even better: Oncoming vehicles in the middle of the road. Why? Think of the tune of the 'Battle Hymn of the Republic': John Brown's body ...

Way OT, this one, and only triggered by the word Slow. But there you go: I could not resist.

Reply #11
Remaining off-topic - we also have a sign outside schools that used to say "Slow Children". The author Iain Banks had great fun with this one.

Robin

Reply #12
We have a sign that says "Heavy Plant Crossing" - I always think of triffids!

Tina

Reply #13
No fishing off bridge.

Reply #14
What about the sign that says: Hidden bunker? (We've been there, and it was fun. But hidden?)

Reply #15
OK........ why r u people talking about that junk in a HELP FORUM?!?!?! I NEED HELP WITH A PROGRAM NOT ROAD SIGNS AND GRAMMER!!!!!

Reply #16
G'day Joe,
did you read my reply (#3) above?  Am I "on track" or did I miss something?

As for the other things, you'll just have to forgive us mate... This is a pretty friendly group who like to "talk" so we do tend to wander off on tangents occasionally... :)

Lawrie

Reply #17
You need help with grammAr as well - not to mention anger management.

Reply #18
See faq #52: How do I set up to use a MIDI keyboard with NWC?