Skip to main content
Topic: Classical guitar specific notation (Read 3195 times) previous topic - next topic

Classical guitar specific notation

I am evaluating the program to write classical guitar music. I would need some special characters to display the string numbers, left hand finger numbers, right hand finger numbers, fret positions, finger sliding, tremolos etc. Is there another way than using the text function?

I need full control on multiple voices on the same staff because I sometimes have to write up to three different voices (melody, accompaniment and bass). Will it be possible?

Re: Classical guitar specific notation

Reply #1
You may want to look at Coda Finale -- If it doesn't do what you want I'd be more than surprised, since a vast majority of all professional typesetters use it for musical notation. That said, it's not cheap (List is around $795), nor is it easy to use. I just bit the bullet and ordered a copy, but I suspect that I'll continue using Noteworthy when I want to get something done fast and easy.

Re: Classical guitar specific notation

Reply #2
Pierre,
with the current version of NWC you could do it anyway.
The text item allows you to have more than one font.
. For cord specification : use wingdings font, Alt-0128 to Alt-0134 will give you '1' to '6' numbers in black on a white disk
. For "case" (fret?) specification : use wingdings font (Alt-0139 to Alt-0149) you'll be able to have '0' to '10' numbers in white on a black disk (not 11 nor 12, alas)
For more specific items, try to find a specific font (chopin.ttf or ?)

For the complete control on 3 parts in one score, try the experimental score that NWC proposes. It allows you staff layering, displaying 1 score but using more than one.

HTH, and good evaluation.
                    MAD (happy reg'd user)