Skip to main content
Topic: 8va Lines (Read 4955 times) previous topic - next topic

8va Lines

Is there anyway to get 8va Lines instead of just using 8va clef? My performers have been requesting this from me and would make my life so much easier if I could do it. Now that NWC 2 has hairpins, underscores and a lyricist field, it's the only real "must have" feature I haven't found yet that I can think of off the top of my head.

Re: 8va Lines

Reply #1
Okay, I was looking through the examples and I think I see the intended workaround (using instrument definitions). I'l have to try that. Meanwhile I'll wait for improved trill notation capabilities. (Looks fondly over at stack 20 Dover orchestral study scores).

Reply #2
You can always mark something all'ottava or ottava or ottava alto or ottava sopro and then end this section use the word loco when you mean to read things as they're written.  These are reasonable alternatives, and standard notations.  It would be nice to have an 8va device that worked like hairpins.

Reply #3
Try this in a Staff size of 14 - 18 points with Font: User 1 set to 9 point Symbol. The final char is ALT+0249.

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Instrument|Name:"8va"|Trans:12|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:0|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:"set Font: User 1 to: 9 point Symbol"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:-11|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:"set Staff size to 14 - 18 point"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:-15|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:"8va"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:13|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:"  ``````````````````"|Font:User1|Pos:10
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:8
|Text|Text:"````````` ù "|Font:User1|Pos:10|Justify:Right
|Instrument|Name:"loco"|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:0|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:5
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Underscore and ALT+0234 for an 8vb is passable but not great.

Hope this helps.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Very nice, Rick.  The best I'd been able to do in the past was a dashed line.  Thank you for this.

Reply #5
Also very impressive use of an instrument patch to change octave!  I've always checked the Send Patch box, as GM isn't the default bank on my synth, and I regularly do program patches on the default.

You method is much better than invisible clef with octave shift, and better than issuing a complete instrument patch change - it doesn't restrict additional instrument changes being inserted earlier!