Skip to main content
Topic: Realplayer Audio Files (Read 2853 times) previous topic - next topic

Realplayer Audio Files

As I am still a new user of NoteWorthy Composer, I am unfamiliar with some of the language used in the forum, so this question might have been asked in a different way.  My question is simply this, can I open Realplayer audio files in my noteworthy program, that I may see the printed music?  I am not familiar with the format of different sound files, so I'm not sure what I can or cannot open using Noteworthy.

Re: Realplayer Audio Files

Reply #1
This sort of question has been asked many times in the forum, usually in connection with mp3 or WAV.

Audio files (mp3, Real Audio, WAV, etc.) are recorded music. They cannot be opened for notation in NWC, or in any other music notation program. It would be like playing music into your computer's microphone and having notes appear on the screen.

On the other hand, MIDI files are instrument commands, which are similar in concept to musical notation. These CAN be oepened in NWC and some other music notation programs. However, since the formats are different, the conversion from MIDI to musical notation is not always exact. It depends on the MIDI.

There are programs which can "listen to" recorded audio and attempt to guess the corresponding notes. The guess may be reasonably accurate if the recording is a single instrument, with well-defined pitches, played accurately. But for general audio, mixed instruments, or voice, the results are generally poor.