Skip to main content
Topic: "standard" Effect values for instruments (Read 5408 times) previous topic - next topic

"standard" Effect values for instruments

under the Staff Properties->MIDI tab we have:

• (#07) Part Volume
  • (#10) Stereo Pan
under the Staff Properties->Instrument tab we have:

• (#0, #32) Bank Select
------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps other popular Control Change values could be added:

• (#91) Effect 1 [Reverb Depth]
  • (#93) Effect 3 [Chorus Depth]
  • (#94) Effect 4 [Delay Variation]
other Control Changes can currently be made through music markings using Performance Style or Dynamic Variance.

------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: Is there a "standard" value for the 3-effects when using different instruments? I have observed some of the following settings from "professional" MIDI files:

WOODWINDS
91 -> 55
93 -> 10
94 -> 0

BRASS
91 -> 75
93 -> 20
94 -> 0

PERCUSSION (non-pitched)
91 -> 85
93 -> 0
94 -> 0

PERCUSSION (pitched)
91 -> 85
93 -> 15
94 -> 0

STRINGS
91 -> 95
93 -> 30
94 -> 0

Re: "standard" Effect values for instruments

Reply #1
"QUESTION: Is there a "standard" value for the 3-effects when using different instruments? I have observed some of the following settings from "professional" MIDI files:"

The short answer is 'No' It all depends on various factors.
a) The music in question
b) The ear of the person creating the file.
c) Whether or not the file is created with a non GM soundfont.

With a soundfont compatible sound card many users choose different 'patches' or instruments from many different 'banks'. More often that not, these instruments are not equally balanced. e.g. Brass from the Cadenza bank are far louder then standard GM brass so unless they are properly balanced they will overpower (say) the strings.
My advice (for what it's worth) would be to create files intended for a wider audience in a standard GM font, which most people have, rather than with the personal pick 'n' mix variety.

Tina

Reply #2
> a) The music in question
> b) The ear of the person creating the file.
> c) Whether or not the file is created with a non GM soundfont.

a) The music is full orchestral scores.

b) The ear would be what anyone would expect to reproduce the same sound as if you went to hear a full synphonic orchestra playing the exact same music.

c) The soundfont is assumed to be from a quality professional device such as the SoundCanvas (SD-80, SC-8850, etc). Again, this ir from the point of view of a professional who wouldn't be using cheap FM sound cards.

I think the better question I should have asked is this:

QUESTION: What values are needed to create a *realistic* sound as if you were listening to a real orchestra.

Some hints I have read deal with things like:
  • Consider a higher reverb (91) for instruments placed in the back than those closer to the front (using a standard orchestra seating chart).
Since I haven't found too much info on this topic, I'm guessing the only answer is: no one has really taken the time to find out for sure. Perhaps a project for someone.

Reply #3
"Since I haven't found too much info on this topic, I'm guessing the only answer is: no one has really taken the time to find out for sure. Perhaps a project for someone."

The cheeky answer to this is "Go on then" ;-)

On the other hand, consider this: Producing music (in whatever format) is a creative process. If there were a 'standard' anything, all versions of any particular piece of music would be the same as every other.
So, for example, if one wanted to create a MIDI file of (say) "Joe Bloggs Symphony No 3", if it had already been done by someone else, there would be little point in making the effort.
Be creative. Do your own thing. If what you produce is pleasing to your ear, go for it.

Tina