Skip to main content
Topic: fretqwik (Read 5078 times) previous topic - next topic

fretqwik

how do i use fretqwik

Re: fretqwik

Reply #1
The authoritative answer, from the guy who created the font:

(1) Install FretQwik into your Windows Fonts folder, just like any other font.

(2) In NWC, choose FretQwik as a "user font" at suitable point size. You will need to do this for each separate *.nwc file. If all of your music will require FretQwik, then you can create a templete that has FretQwik pre-defined as a used font.

(3) To use FretQwik, you will need a character map program. Windows comes with a character map, but it is very hard to use, since its symbols are very small. I recommend that you install and use the free "Typecase" character map, which can be downloaded from my own fonts page (search the Internet for FretQwik and Typecase, and you will easily find the page). Also, be sure to look at the font map image that comes with FretQwik. It will help you find the symbols.

(4) With a character map, you click (or double-click, depending on software) on a symbol. That copies the symbol to the clipboard. You can copy several symbols at one time. (I believe that in Typecase, the symbols are only copied to an internal buffer, which then is copied to the clipboard by a command.) After you copy your symbols to the clipboard, you paste them to wherever they need to go, in the usual way that you paste.

(5) In NWC, you would use the text insertion feature to call up a dialog box. There, you paste the text, and specify which user font you need, and how to align it. But in NWC, when you paste symbols from FretQwik, you will NOT see the symbols in the text editor. Instead, you will see ordinary characters. The FretQwik symbols won't appear until you close the text editor and see the result on your music.

(6) FretQwik will work in ordinary programs such as Notepad, as long as you choose it as the font, at large enough size to see. I recommend that you create your fret diagrams in Notepad, then copy the result into NWC. It is easier to play with the diagrams in Notepad. Also, you can save pre-formed diagrams in Notepad, then copy to NWC as needed.

(7) Now for the magic question: How do you build diagrams in FretQwik? Answer: (a) Choose the fret style, which may be 4 or 6 strings, with or without a nut at top. (b) If the first string has a dot, choose a dot at the correct fret height. If not, use a non-breaking space to move to the next string. (c) Place a dot, of there is one, for the second string. If not, use the non-breaking space to move to the third string. And so forth.

(8) If your diagram uses a moveable nut (capo), you can place one by choosing its height relative to the fretboard. Place it before you place any of the string dots.

(9) If your diagram uses an arc to indicate holding down more than one string, place it where you would otherwise place the dot for the earlier string.

(10) You can also place numbers at the top of the fretboard.

Basically, FretQwik allows you to place symbols at various heights relative to the fretboard, then move to the next horizontal position on the strings.

If you would like to add the chord name, you can do this in FretQwik using ordinary alphabet as well as sybols for sharp, flat, diminished, etc.

The FretQwik package contains a sample text file.

Reply #2
I like Typecase WAY better than Windows character map.
Thank you, Robert!
Also, FretQwik turned out to be pretty good for me, and now that I know about the nbsp [duh!], it should work even better.

Reply #3
Typecase isn't my own creation. It is the work of Anthony Appleyard, from somewhere in Britain. His own web site is very inconspicuous. Typecase appears on my site by his permission. So we should all say, "Thank you, Anthony!"

Reply #4
What I meant was "Thank you for pointing me to it!"