Skip to main content
Topic: Question about NWC2 - Importing midis (Read 3499 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about NWC2 - Importing midis

Does NWC2 import midi files any better than NWC1? Does it actually read all the controller changes instead of throwing them out?

Re: Question about NWC2 - Importing midis

Reply #1
nope, it imports midi just the same as version 1 but what upsets me is you can't save any thing as midi with version 2

Reply #2
Instead of Save As midi, you now Export to midi.  This "new" terminology is what we used to say before window environments came along.  In the Old Days(TM) when we typed commands, we usually had to use single words rather than the more readable "Save As", with its nice space.

Reply #3
Thanks

Reply #4
-
FWIW, in old versions of NWC1 (maybe prior to 1.70) we used to import and export MIDI as we do in NWC2. The open/save as vs. import/expert paradigm is an intermediate one, between the identical old and new.

My 0.01 [abbr=New Turkish Lira, nominally $ 0.74, € 0.57, £ 0.39, ¥ 79.96]YTL[/abbr]
-

Reply #5
Yep, you're right.  I dragged out my original floppy disk and User Guide.  Version 1.55b had File Import.  I'd forgotten.

Reply #6
I ask because I was considering programming something that would read from a midi file and spit out a proper nwc file (for version 1) with all of the stuff that would normally be thrown out. I don't know the NWC file format, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I had enough time.

Reply #7
It's not too tricky, once you realise that, by default, the file is compressed. As long as you work with uncompressed format, you can figure out enough to read NWC format. However, there are a few things in there I've never worked out (probably to do with my personal registration), which makes writing NWC files rather hit and miss.

Robin