Skip to main content
Topic: Grace note slash (Read 13767 times) previous topic - next topic

Grace note slash

What does it mean when the flag of a grace note is slashed? And is it supported in NWC?

Re: Grace note slash

Reply #1
Both grace note types are explained here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_note#Appoggiatura

Essentially, the acciaccatura (the one with the slash) is a crushed note, and is normally played as quickly as possible, just before the note it decorates.  Noteworthy does not support this.

The one without the slash, the appoggiatura, steals its time from the note following it.  It will begin where that note would otherwise have started.

Reply #2
Does anyone know if a user font exists that contains the grace note symbol with a slash such that it could be manually inserted as a text item?  (Or any other workarounds for that matter?)  Thanks!

P.S.  I have seen postings regarding aligning a slash (/) sized appropriately with the flag of a grace note.  Perhaps I should be asking if this is still the optimum way to accomplish this.  Thanks again...

Reply #3
A text entry with a "/" character set to centre justify at next note/bar using a font that is appropriately sized and placed before the grace note works tolerably well.  You may need to experiment with text font size and even use a user font slot up to get one the right size...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thanks for the confirmation!  Much appreciated!!!

Reply #6
But where do you find Maestro.ttf and is it a free font?

With Lawrie's method, you dont need to worry about that.
Rich.

Reply #8
I haven't yet tried Maestro as suggested, and will do that shortly.  I went off on a different path and tried the "Bach" font by Yo Tomita which I have used for other purposes, and does have the symbol needed.  The frustration with using this font in NoteWorthy, is that the vertical alignment with the staff isn't as needed.  (You can't get the notehead centered in the space or on a line.)

This brings back another frustration.  We are to use a variety of workarounds, but yet there is not enough control over vertical alignment to place external items accurately on the staff.  I am off to try Maestro now, but wanted to just note my moment of frustration.

Reply #9
I have now tried the Maestro font and can get the note to line up correctly.  THANK YOU!!!

I have one more issue, that I am hopeful someone might chime in on to get me on the right path.  I now need the note to be positioned correctly in relation to the surrounding notes (horizontally) and have a slur that goes between this fake note and the next note.

What I have done is placed on the staff a real NoteWorthy grace note and a real NoteWorthy slur between the grace note and the following quarter note.  I have then changed the Visibility property of the grace note to Hidden and set the "fake note" from the font to be positioned at the next note (the NoteWorthy grace note) and centered.  This puts the "crush" at exactly the right place.  HOWEVER, the slur is now not visible, because the visibility property of the grace note is not visible.  I am sure that there is a workaround for this, but it is escaping me at this point.  Thanks in advance for any insights...

Reply #10
I just realized something...this is probably another advantage of the slash method!  You don't have to have the note hidden!!!  Oh well, it does bring out a couple features that would be nice for accomplishing workarounds.  I'm off to slash my notes...  Thanks again for any additional comments.

Reply #11
I have ended up getting something acceptable looking by using the slash from the font "MATHC" (I believe/hope a standard Windows font), and putting a space before it.  Then fiddled with the justification and the size.  The reason for "MATHC" is to get a slash that has more slant to it (not quite so straight up and down as Times Roman for example).  Still is a pain as it won't transpose, etc., but at least it works at some level.  Thanks.

Reply #12
I have ended up getting something acceptable looking by using the slash from the font "MATHC" (I believe/hope a standard Windows font), and putting a space before it.
Fonts shipped with Microsoft products are listed <here>.
The most forward leaning slash in a universally available font is: Courier New italic.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #13
I believe this is a better solution to the slur problem. The text grace with the slash is centered at next note. The next note is a slurred NWC grace note with stem length set to 0, and no note head.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #14
Thank you both for the insightful comments on both solutions.

Thank you Carl for the interesting alternative way to hide a note without changing the visibility.  Don't think I'd have figured that one out!

Thank you Rick for the insights into the fonts.  How you knew where this specific slash would be is amazing!

I wish there was a way to transpose and keep the text item moving with the note...but I think at this point I'm asking too much.  I'm getting at least 80% (the ability to create the symbol and get it to print correctly...which is what I need).  After I transpose, I'll have to do some more fussing with the symbols, but at this point, that's not the worst thing that could happen!

Thanks again!!! :)