Skip to main content
Topic: Different duration note beamed (Read 3092 times) previous topic - next topic

Different duration note beamed

Hi all,
Beaming 8th with 16th or more is natural. But when printing, I would like to beam a 1/2 with 8th.
For example in a classical guitar arpeggio C Major chord having the 1/2 C and after the 1/8 E, 1/8 G, 1/8 C all beamed together.

Re: Different duration note beamed

Reply #1
Would it serve your purpose to insert 4 tied 1/8 (semiquaver) Cs, then insert the other 1/8 notes of the arpeggio as chord notes above these?  You can then beam the whole group.

Reply #2
You can do to it with layered staffs and a hidden note.  In the top staff write your half note.  Set the staff properties (F2) to allow layering with next staff.

Create a second staff.  Write your 8th notes, beam them, then make the first one invisible (Ctrl-E for note properties).

Now "allow layering" from the View Menu.

I say you CAN do it.  I'm not sure you should.  I am not familiar with guitar music notation, but it seems to me it is musically incorrect.  I could be mistaken.

Reply #3
Try David's suggestion and see what happens.
If you use NWC2, you can have no notehead for the first note, add the open head as a text item, and avoid layering altogether.

Reply #5
Sorry, I replied to the wrong post :-(