my clarinet into a microphone connected to my SoundBlaster
card and creat a .wav file. Is there any way of getting
the resulting music in to NWC ? Perhaps via a piece of
software that converts .wav files to MIDI ? Does anyone
know of any way of doing this ?

Mike

Re: .wav file import ?

Reply #2
Hey - if you could play a wav file through a clarinet - now that would be something.
Come to think of it - if I could play anything well through a clarinet - that would be remarkable!

Reply #3
Thanks, Drake for the pointers for Sound2Midi. I suspected that someone would be trying. I imagine that is must be nearly as hard as voice recognition.

As for adding waves to scores, Cubase does this, though I think it's nearly $1000. Maybe its cheaper siblings do it, too, I don't know, they're all way beyond my price range (I'd have to be a PROFESSIONAL muso to want it, and if I was, I couldn't afford it!)

The other way to do this (I presume you want a "live" solo over a midi backing), would be to
1) start your wave editing program
2) arrange levels so that when it records, it will record both midi and microphone (panned however you wish)
3) hit "Record" in your wave editor
4) hit "Play" in NWC
5) Wail on your clarinet
6) press "Stop"
7) On the seventh day you should have a rest, and see that is WAS good. (Apologies to all Biblical types out there :)

Not that I've tried it, but I think it'll work.

Andrew

Reply #4
http://www.pgmusic.com for power tracks pro (an NWC priced product devoted more to producing sonic output than printed score) has the ability to record your clarinet output and midi output as a .wav. Don't try this at home unless you have a really big hard drive with a really big cache and a very fast processor with lots of ram and cache ram. (A strong masochistic streak helps also).
http://www.yamaha.com and hunt around for wind controllers, wx-11 comes to mind. This is a device that senses lip, finger, breath action and outputs midi signals. I would presume it could input to NWC just like a midi keyboard.

Reply #5
This is not going to be a simple task. I would recommend using CSound from http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Man/c_front.html
It is a free program which generates audio files like wavs. You can also get Midi2cs from that page. This program converts midi files to csound files. Finally if you get SOX (available from the Midi2cs site) you can convert your recording of the clarinet to an AIFF file, which may be used as an instrument in csound and midi2cs. After having done all that, perhaps you could make world peace, cure all disease, or any other equally simple task. I know it seems like a lot of work, but it is well worth it.

Reply #6
There is a program called autoscore which converts sound into MIDI format. You can play into a microphone with any instrument, or your voice, so I assume that you could play a WAV file into it too. It will only recognize one pitch, so chords would be out of the question. The software is about $150 I believe. However, I'm not sure if it is compatible with NWC.

Reply #7
yur all wrong. wav to midi is impossible. it can never be the same. mid--->wav is like mixing the ingredients of a cake and baking it. wav--->mid is like trying to get those ingredients back again. no way r u gonna do that!

Evi|Homer

Reply #8
As a musician and a computer programmer, who enjoys combining the two, I know that .wav to midi IS possible. The reason I know this is because.... Musicians do it all the time! One of the things we're taught in theory class is to listen to someone play the piano and write down the notes played to match the music. Our ears can do it, a properly programmed computer could do it too.

Reply #9
The annals of computer science are filled with examples of things our brains can do that it's very hard to get computers to do well, if at all. Good natural language comprehension comes to mind, as do translation, visual pattern recognition, and so forth. These are things that have been worked on for years and years at government, commercial and academic labs with only limited success. I suspect wav-to-midi is in the same category, at least for nontrivial sources. Yes, it's probably possible, but not now (or probably even soon) and not on the desktop.

Reply #10
YESSS!!!!!!!!!! it could be done with a program named composer, i think its a russian program. Look for it id tried and its great for get the midi notes on music, works much bettter if like you want to play a monotone instrument, but i usually use to get a score form a cd music, of course it need some arrange in any midi program like cakewalk!

Reply #11
why are you guys making this sound impossible?

think:

note pitches are simply frequencies. if not too much is
going on, these frequencies can be isolated.

once isolated, they can be interpreted and extracted...

besides, i used autoscore years ago in its early stages,
and it works. there were some errors, and my slow 286
didnt make things any better, but i suspect that my PIII 500
can handle the process much better and i'm going to give the
program a try.

Reply #12
To those who still believe that there are programs that will convert wav to midi - here's a challenge.
I will send you a few bars of a big band midi file converted to wav or (preferably) mp3.
All I ask as proof that your program works is to return to me the complete score in NWC format.
Couldn't be easier!

Reply #13
Kindly provide me source code or the api's to convert wav to midi file...

Its very urgent otherwise i ll loose my project...

Reply #14
... consider it lost. WAV > MIDI isn't happening. There are some specialized pograms that do a half-hearted job, in limited circumstances. Might as well just use NWC to create a brand-new MIDI, directly from the sheet music, if you have it, or enter via MIDI piano keyboard.