Skip to main content
Topic: WINDOWS XP AND NOTEWHORTY COMPOSER (Read 8754 times) previous topic - next topic

WINDOWS XP AND NOTEWHORTY COMPOSER

HI, I HAVE A NOTEWHORTY COMPOSER 1,75b; MY OPERATIVE SISTEMS IS A WINDOWS XP....
I CAN`T TO EAR THE MUSIC.... WHAT I TO DO?

Re: WINDOWS XP AND NOTEWHORTY COMPOSER

Reply #1
Hi Salvador, In NWC click on tools, options, select the midi tab and make sure that one of your devices from the left appears in the box on the right. Also double ckick the small loudspeaker at the bottom right of the windows screen (next to the time) and make sure that the volume sliders are reasonable and that midi synch is not muted. Good luck - Barry

Reply #2
Have you checked all of the mixer volume settings in your PC's volume/mixer control? There are usually two separate volume sliders: one for the system, and one for the MIDI synthesizer. Both can have a large impact on play back volume.

Otherwise, do your speakers have an internal amplifier? If not, this is probably your problem.

Lastly, have you tried different play devices from Tools, Options, Midi? Please try one device at a time in this process.

Reply #3
I am suddenly having problems starting NWC 1.75b.  I am running windows xp with sp2.  I have had problems with other programs as well.

When I start NWC, I get an error message saying, "Abnormal Program Termination" and all I can do is click on OK.

I am desperate!

Reply #4
Furthermore, the 16 bit version of NWC, installed in the NWC13 directory functioned ok.  When I updated to that directory, a new subdirectory was created and the NWC in that directory does not work either.

??? !!!

Reply #5
For anyone who is in need of help with winxp-sp2 and Noteworthy Composer 1.75b, here is the solution I found:

Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Advanced Tab/Performance Settings/Data Execution Prevention/Add

Go to the Noteworthy Composer directory and click on NWC32.exe and click Apply.

This will remove NWC32.exe from the DEP list and allow it to run.

This is a new security feature in Service Pack 2 and it is causing me endless trouble with programs that have always run just fine, until now.

Reply #6
I had no trouble at all with NWC (either 1.75b or 2beta) with XP2 and all sorts of security. It may have something to do with your specific sound card or display driver (???) Mind you, I do not usually run more than one application simultaneously.

Reply #7
The situation, as described in Reply 5, applies to NoteWorthy Composer Version 1.75b under the following circumstances:

• Windows XP + SP2 installed

• your computer has built-in support for DEP...this is enforced by your computer's CPU, such as an Athlon64

• DEP is enabled for all programs
Many current computers do not have a CPU that will enforce DEP through hardware, so they will not experience this issue.

We are considering a version 1.75 update that will remedy this situation.

Note: The NWC2 series fully supports using hardware DEP for all programs.

Reply #8
Ah, so. I believe that the Intel Pentium P4 (and earlier) processors, which are perhaps the most commonly used, do not support hardware DEP. I remember reading about this issue (in general, not specifically for NWC1.75) shortly after XP-sp2 was first released.

Reply #9
Intel refers to this as an Execute Disable Bit. I have trouble sorting through Intel marketing materials to figure out exactly which Intel processors support DEP (unlike other features, such as Hyper-Threading, which is very easy to figure out).

Reply #10
A past article on the subject, for those interested:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5310417.html

Here at nwsw, last year we ended up building a custom Athlon64 system just to test hardware enforced DEP, and add enhancements in NWC2 to make it work. There have not been any reported issues in NWC2 related to our DEP changes, so we may propagate the enhancements back to NWC1.

Reply #11
Is SP2 software  and if it is where could I download it?

Reply #12
"Is SP2 software and if it is where could I download it?"

... Haven't been reading the news for the past few months, eh?

Reply #13
SP2 is not exactly software in the common sense, to be short it's part of the windows system, and is a major update of it.
you can download it from the µ$ site, or directly from your PC through the usual maintenance options of the XP system.

Note that there are drawbacks to this upgrade, such as more memory consumption. All details can be found on specialized sites such as Tom's hardware or µ$'s.

BTW, isn't that upgrade mandatory since some days? in a typical "let's users decide" way...

Reply #14
ABOUT REPLY #5:
Make sure that one of the selected programs is "Noteworthy Composer (32 bit)" because I was using the trial version and without the above program on there, I couldn't run it.  This is just for people using the trial version.