Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Recording MIDI to WAV (Read 8809 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Recording MIDI to WAV

I am using Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI to record NWC files into WAVs, but the recording legnth is limited to 60 seconds.  I have to hit the record button every 60 seconds to continue recording, but there is a noticable skip in the WAV playback.  Anyone know how to get around that?

Re: Sound Recording MIDI to WAV

Reply #1
The wave recorder that comes with Windows is only intended for recording beeps and burps and other sound effects that generally last for less than a minute.  You need some proper recording software such as you get when you buy a SBLive! sound card, but I don't think the Sound Blaster PCI comes with such software.  So you need to search the web and download some.  You could do a lot worse than try Goldwave.  A free evaluation version is downloadable from www.goldwave.com

Reply #2
Thanks Graham.

Reply #3
I regularly use MS Sound Recorder to record .wav files in excess of five minutes in length.

This is how:

1)  Open MS Sound Recorder and with NOTHING playing click the "Record" button.  60 seconds of silence will be recorded.

2)  Then use the "Save As" command to save this file.  I name mine "Silence 60.wav"

3)  Now with Sound Recorder still open with the recorded 60 seconds of silence still on it, click on Edit | Insert File and add "Silence 60" to it.  Now you have an "empty" .wav file 120 seconds in length.

You can repeat this procedure to create a "blank" .wav file of any length.

Reply #4
Wow.  That worked great.    I now have a file named "Silence 360 Wave" to record my music.  You are amazing Debo!  Thanks so much.

Reply #5
We ALL stand on the shoulders of giants...

I learned this tip from others here--many of whom are MUCH more knowledgable than I--the same as you just did.

Your turn will come and when it does, be generous with your help.

As an aside, many problems have been discussed in this forum already.  The "search" feature is a great help in finding these discussions and the answers that one may seek.  My biggest problem with the search feature is knowing what questions to ask and how to ask them.

-- debo

Reply #6
Record nothing for a few seconds then select "Effects>Decrease Speed". The length doubles every time you select "Decrease Speed".

Reply #7
As they say - you learn something new every day!

Reply #8
After all the foregoing, I must also add that I now find myself using a very inexpensive program called "Rip Vinyl" for most of my recording. ( www.ripvinyl.com )

This simple-to-use little program allows one to set recording levels easily, will record from almost ANY source, and has a ton of other features not found on the MS product, including, as the name implies, the ability to record .wav OR MP3 files directly from your LP albums.

Reply #9
You could also try a free audio editor that many NWC users (and others) use which I find as good or better than most $ programs, Audacity.  Go to http://audacity.sourceforge.net to get it.

Reply #10
I also have used Ripvinyl (still available at  very reasonable cost) for a long time and find it efficient and easy

Reply #11
I am unable to download Audacity and I do not know why.

I and behind a firewall and I have previously "danced the dance" several times, trying everything I know to no avail.  I cannot even download the ZIP file.

I have had no problems downloading other problems.

I am now tired of fooling with it, and I suppose that I'll just have to pass on the program.

Reply #12
Uuuhhh...

Correction: programs, not problems twice.

Both do begin with the letters "pro".  Lacking any other, that's 'bout the only excuse I have.

Reply #13
Can you receive .zip or .exe files as an e-mail attachment?  If so I could e-mail it to you.  Audacity setup is a 2.34 MB .exe file, and the manual is a 444 KB .zip file.  You also need the LAME library as a .zip file, that would be 600 KB.  I still have these files on my hard disk and can send them to you as attachments with no problem.

Reply #14
Try using yousendit.com to send huge files like that.  It's essentially an ftp site, free and excellent service that tells the recipient there's a file waiting, and lets him download at leisure.

Also if the sender changes the file name extension to something innocuous, that may get past a firewall set to trap exe or zip extensions?  The receiver just renames it after downloading.  I don't know if this works, but it might be worth a shot.

Reply #15
Thanks, guys.

However, I am an old man and I have exhausted my patience trying to download Audacity.

Until (if?) I have replenished my enthusiasm for self-inflicted hassle, then I'll just let it slide and do without.

Perhaps someone has a suggestion for a commercially available product, available on CD, that is comparable to Audacity?

Reply #16
Debo, try Adobe Audition (used to be called ProTools ? until Adobe bought them) or PG Music's Power Tracks Pro Audio sequencer, which integrates MIDI and audio quite well.  $49 for  the sequencer only, some worthwhile extras available for extra $.  Go to www.pgmusic.com for it.

Reply #17
Hey Al, what's this "old man" stuff? They're only numbers on a bit of paper. If you need "audacity" I can send it.Give us an email, I think you have changed your address. Lew.C in Oz

Reply #18
If you want a quick conversion to wave or mp3 (ring tones etc) or for choir learning CDs , I use Modplug Tracker or Jetaudio. They are fast an easy.The sounds for various instruments are sometimes a bit different.

Reply #19
Synthfont is very good. It is still in development (so-called beta), but for most purposes it works very well. It is freeware/donateware. You will also need a sound font or two. The author has an excellent guide to do what you want. The issue of download could still be a problem for you, but please try.

http://www.synthfont.com/

and follow some of the other links on that page.

If you would like more detailed help, please post back here after you have the software installed.

Reply #21
I use synthfont. It's free, easy to use and no install poblems. Timidity is a not for the faint hearted.

With synthfont ( and others) you will need to download a soundfont. Hammer has a great number. With these you can select the instrument you prefer and quality. I use the merlin one (about 26mb). It is possible to make some delightful arrangements with these high quality sound fonts, many of which are free.

Reply #22
I think SynthFont is less stable than TiMidity. I had a lot of problems with SynthFont. There was even a time when SynthFont wouldn't even start, while TiMidity was working fine.