Skip to main content
Topic: Troubles with Audio Compositor Evaluation software (Read 2531 times) previous topic - next topic

Troubles with Audio Compositor Evaluation software

I've been experimenting with converting MIDI files to WAV files using the evaluation version of Audio Compositor based on advice from the forum. The MIDIs I am converting are saved .nwc files with piano staffs and the files are rendered successfully, but the playback sounds like a synthesizer. Is this because the evaluation package is limited to this instrument? I want to purchase the complete version but I'm wondering do I have hardware problem or is it simply that I need the complete version of the software to render files with the original instrument. Guidance from Audio Compositor users would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Re: Troubles with Audio Compositor Evaluation software

Reply #1
Do you address a soundfont when you use this software?
Is the soundfont loaded on your hard drive?

Or you could try Synthfont (Free) at http://www.synthfont.com
You will still need a soundfont though.

Reply #2
Best as we can tell (this was discussed on the forum), Audio Compositor isn't marketed anymore (the website is shut down).  That being said, I know you can still find copies of it on the web and several people still use it (myself included).  If I recall correctly, it ships with a small soundfont that doesn't have much in it, but it lets you try out the software.  What you need to do is to find a go General MIDI soundfont (there are a bunch of them on the web) and tell AC to use it.  It will then render the MIDI using that soundfont (you don't need a Soundblaster card to do this).

I don't have it on the machine I'm on right now, so I can't provide any more detailed information.

Hope this helps.

John

Reply #3
Thanks John and Barry.  I'm not sure what a Sound font it, but I'll go looking for it on the web to try and down load one.  I'm new to this and am learning as I go.  I appreciate your responses.

Reply #4
Thanks agian guys.  I found a free download of soundfonts called GS put on the web by a Christian Collins at !link (http://www.sccmusic.250x.com/).  With the free evaluation version of Audio Compositor and Christian's free soundfonts, I am able to reproduce my choir music onto practice CDs that I can play on my car stero.  Hat's off to both of you for helping a novice with simple needs find what he needed at no expense.