Skip to main content
Topic: n-uplets (Read 4498 times) previous topic - next topic

n-uplets

Several messages have been previously posted about the problem of n-uplets (or multiplets) in NWC.
To sum up, it appears that NWC supports only triplets ; so that in order to obtain a duplet you have to use dotted notes (for instance, an 8th duplet in 6/8 is equivalent to a pair of dotted 8ths). This solution is acceptable, but doesn't look very natural. As concerns 5,7,11...-uplets, it gets worse : The only way to obtain the correct rythm is to work out an equivalent time signature with a sufficient resolution. Let's say 20/20 instead of 4/4 to allow a 16th quintuplet : really unpracticable !
Consedering that at least quintuplets and duplets are widely used, i think a n-uplet implementation is needed for the next versions. And, if it brings problems with the timer resolution, quintuplets may be limited to 32th figures for example...

Waiting forward to reading your replies,
Thomas

Re: n-uplets

Reply #1
I'd love n-tuplets! It was one of the first things I wanted (over a year ago), and I still wish for it. I must say that Eric has been good in getting some big things up (user-selected fonts, grace notes [in a fashion], and now the multi-voice experiment), but I still hanker for something that will say "n-tuplise the group I've selected".

A