Skip to main content
Topic: Please help me transpose? (Read 2258 times) previous topic - next topic

Please help me transpose?

I have a score here that I wrote for a band and I am having trouble with the transpositions for the different instruments.  I've been trying to look on the web for an answer and I still dont understand about transposing...  If a kind soul would talke a look at what i wrote and transpose it for me I would greatly appreciate it.  I would email you the file and you could email it back all transposed for the different instruments.  My email is Notch87@hotmail.com or you could reply here...  I would like this done by the 3rd of january if possable...  Please help me?

Re: Please help me transpose?

Reply #2
I play the cornet with a music group but I cannot play the music as provided,I have to transpose it up a tone, its ok with slow pieces but when theres much movement it's very defficult, so I translose by hand, its long and boring whats the answer?

Re: Please help me transpose?

Reply #3
Assuming that the music you have been provided is in concert key and that you play a B-flat cornet, I would recommend entering the music as written into Noteworthy Composer (make sure you enter the correct key signature, even if it's C, otherwise NWC doesn't transpose properly).  Then once it has been entered, just select Tools, Transpose Staff, and select 2 semitones up.

The checkbox "Update Staff Playback Transposition" works like this.  If you want the MIDI file to sound properly while you play along with it on your cornet, then keep it checked (in other words, it plays back the music in the original key).  If you want the sound to also be transposed (and you would not be able to play along with it unless you actually like the out of tune sound), then uncheck the box.

This still involves entering the music, but you don't have to think about the transposition part of it.  Just enter the music as written and let NWC handle the transposition for you.

Hope this helps.

John