Skip to main content
Topic: 2 Voices in one Barline (Read 3174 times) previous topic - next topic

2 Voices in one Barline

I am new with NoteWorthy. I am trying to use this for practising the songs of our choire.
I am singing the second bass, so I am trying to type in the first AND second bass in one bar line. Until now without any succes. I guess this must be possible, can anyone help me out with this?
And does anyone has any hints and tips.

Re: 2 Voices in one Barline

Reply #1
Two approaches are possible:

(1) Write the first bass and the second bass on two, separate staves. Then use the staff layer feature to visually merge them to a single staff.

(2) Use one staff for both parts. Write the notes using chords. Creating chords is described in the help file.

If the two parts do not have any "moving" notes - that is, if the duration and timing of notes is always the same, but only the pitches are different, method (2) is easiest. However, if the parts sing different timing, you may need to use a combination of (1) and (2).

Reply #2
With method 2, you can set the stem directions for notes in a chord so one voice will point up and the other points down.  Just press the up or down arrow or click on the appropriate stem direction icon before entering the note to force the stem direction.

Reply #3
It is in the helpfile, but here is the main ingredient: the Control key. Try typing this (assume you're on a C)
3  Enter  Up  Up  Ctrl+Enter.
Now, you have a simple chord.

The stem direction can be very important, as stated above. Use the mouse, or type Shift+Up / Shift+Down to choose the direction of the stems.

So much for the very basics. It might help.