Skip to main content
Topic: DLS (Read 3253 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: DLS

Reply #1
The DLS mechanism described on your reference link is used to convert MIDI instructions into audible sound. The mechanism employed by a computer in converting MIDI instructions to actual sound/music will not generally effect the ability of NWC to play your notated songs, although it may affect the synchronization between hightlighted notes and the actuall audio.

Bottom line: NWC will work with the DLS stuff in much the same way as it currently works with other playback mechanisms, via the provided MIDI driver(s). Architectures that already do this include: play back performed by synthesizer present on the sound card (either FM synthesizer, WaveTable sythesizer, a hybrid, or a downloadable synth using sound fonts), play back performed through external synthesizer connected via a MIDI port, or play back performed by the sound card using sample data generated by the computer's main processor and then directed as digial audio data down to the sound card (and finally to the speakers).

Reply #2
I don't understand your reply. Maybe it's a little too technical in areas
I don't understand. Are you saying that this DLS stuff is just a fancy
new reader for MIDI files?

Reply #3
From reading the page, it sounds like DLS is just a new acronym for a synthesis technology that is already pretty widely available. Specifically, I am saying that DLS is described as just another sound synthesis specification, used by the Microsoft Synthesizer. I think that DLS is just Microsoft's way of standardizing the format of the digital audio samples (the way I read it, anyway). The Micorosoft Synthesizer, again as I understand it, is one of numerous new software synthesis products that utilize the main computer CPU and downloadable soundfont technology to generate sound from MIDI events (generated by MIDI programs like NWC). This is along the lines of WaveSynth/WG in the SB AWE 64, the WinGroove shareware utilty discussed so much in this forum (see https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=360), and similar technologies from Roland and Yamaha (I do not remember the product names at the moment).

NWC supports the selection of multiple sound synthesizers through the Tools, Options interface (in the MIDI tab). If you decide to use the Micorosft Synthesizer, or one of the other products, you are fully able to select those devices from within NWC. As I said above, the one possible problem with some of these synthesizer technologies is that note highlights during play back may not line up with the audio rendering of the synthesizer.

I hope this helps. --Eric