Skip to main content
Topic: Importing triplets in NWC2 (Read 3059 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing triplets in NWC2

I'm just wondering if importing triplets from MIDI files in being planned for NWC2.  I ask because I've used NWC for quite a while (I heard about it from my piano teacher), and I didn't get in on CD.  I'm happy with NWC so far (except with the lack of being able to import triplets), and I don't want to order the 1.75b CD (I have backups on 3 1/2 floppy disks) unless the importation of triplets is being planned.  Is it?

Re: Importing triplets in NWC2

Reply #1
I don't speak for NWC, but as a user, my understanding is that no change is planned. NWC imports triplets as three notes of different durations that sum to the total. The user can make the change manually. On another NWC2 forum thread, a "user tool" for doing this is described. It may well be that the triplet-import will be done this way, as a user tool.

Reply #2
G'day Dave.
I'm the author of the tripletise User Tool that Robert mentioned. (I don't work for Noteworthy Software, but I've turned my hand to coding some user tools to keep my brain active).

If you had the v2 preview (1d) and downloaded the user tool thingy, then you'd be able to automatically post-process things that you suspect to be triplets into properly notated triplets. It works a treat on simple imports and saves a stack of time.
Another user, Gennaro Granito, has already enhanced it to work with triplets with rests as well. Scarey stuff.

The whole discussion is on the Noteworthy 2 newsgroup (noteworthy.nwc2beta).
To have access to that and the user 2 preview, you need to qualify for the preview program. That's detailed at http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/

Reply #3
Wow! So many things to read on the NG... And I learned (thanks to you) that we may use perl too :)
My Ambitus (range from lowest to highest note of a score) tool is already written, as I see :)

Reply #4
A long time ago, someone came up with an elaborate but elegant work-around for the problem of n-tuplets (and kn-tuplets).  I am not able to spend a lot of time working on a program or script to do this, and I'm not the best person to do it, anyway; a lot of the rest of you are much better at this sort of thing.  I hope one of you will tackle this project.

Reply #5
It seems that the tripletize script is alright, but I've not read everything about it yet.
Andrew and Gennaro made a good work!

Otherwise for 1.x version, a good old macro still does the trick very well (cf. scriptorium).