Skip to main content
Topic: "Quick Search" does not find some keywords like "thank you"??? (Read 21386 times) previous topic - next topic

"Quick Search" does not find some keywords like "thank you"???

why cant the search find word like "thanks", "thank you", and "thank"

Re: "Quick Search" does not find some keywords like "thank you"???

Reply #1
why isnt anyone answering???

Reply #2
The Find tool in NWC finds all three expressions if they've been inserted into the song file as text.

The spellchecker in this forum doesn't find them because they're spelled correctly.

Is there another search feature you're thinking of?

Reply #3
you answered the wrong question, i meant that if you type "thank you" into the "Quick Search" on top of the forum, you will get "No Matches Found"

Reply #4
No, I didn't answer the wrong question.  I gave an answer to 2 reasonable interpretations of your question.

You need to learn to write your questions better so it is clear what it is that you're asking.

Reply #5
Actually, David, this time I could understand what "ME" wanted.  The "thread head" refers to "Quick Search," which is visible directly above NoteWorthy Composer 2 Forum.

Reply #6
I don't normally consider a title to be part of a message, merely an indicator of the contents.  More fool me, eh?

I see the quick search box on the main NWC2 forum page now.  Thanks for pointing it out.

The quick search box doesn't appear after I select "recent" and it doesn't appear in the pages that contain the threads under discussion (like this one).

My point is that many of our participants don't realize the reader may not be looking at the same thing the writer is concerned about, and without a fairly complete question, they may well not get a good answer. It's not unlike the Deep Thought result (http://hhgproject.org/)in Adams'
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

By the way, do we have an answer for User111's question, now we (think we) know what it was?

Another BTW, was that the acronym feature you used to make the hovering comment?

Reply #7
I think most searches similar to this one don't find common use words such as "the" "at" "a" "an" "and" etc etc, and I assume "thank you" is one of these.  In fact, many search engines don't bother with these words if you include them in a sentance eg. "notation and colour" would probably bring up "notation" and "colour" but ignore the "and".  I guess the idea behind this is that why would you want to do a search on the topic of "thank you" anyway?  I'd be interested to know why ;)

Sue

Reply #8
David, the [abbr=pretty cool, huh?]acronym[/abbr] feature may be viewed by clicking on the tiny notepad to the left of the words Reply 5 by....

Reply #9
I thought those were just decorative icons.  You've taught me two neat tricks now, and I am [abbr=and forever in your debt if it works when I try the acronym now...]grateful[/abbr].

Reply #10
Think nothing of it, David.
As long as you use the spell checker, I will not be owed anything.
Glad to have taught you something.

Reply #11
To see which active links are present, you may use the TAB key.
Try selecting some text, then type in the TAB key once or more. The active anchor will move from one to next, including tiny notepads, etc.
This is general on any browser and web pages :)

Oh, and the search tool seems to work with thank, you, etc.

Reply #12
And by the way, the "Search" does not find any keywords shorter than four characters...

Reply #13
...and an apostrophe does not count as an extra character...

Reply #14
Hmm, there is an old saw: Them what can, do; them what can't, teach.

I sometimes like to add a third category that seems most appropriate at this juncture: ...and them what can't even teach, criticize.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #15
... and them that cannot even criticise properly, clog up the works.

Reply #16
I never did like that expression.
I "do" and I teach.

Reply #17
Greetings Humphrey,
I never did like that expression.

There are almost always exceptions to any "rule" - no offence was intended.

I was simply pointing out (rather obscurely) that those who criticize are rarely creative.

Lawrie

Reply #18
Humphrey,

It is simply a case of an unjust extrapolation. Any combination exists. You've got those who...
- do, and cannot/will not teach;
- do, and can teach - and hopefully do so;
- do not, and teach anyway;
- do neither.
Any parent who encounters one or more teachers who cannot, and still teach, may think 'those who cannot, teach'. Doing great injustice to the first category.

Reply #19
Our version was,

"Those that can, do.
"Those who can't, teach.
"Those who can't teach, teach teachers."

There's a lot of truth to "those who can't, teach."  The people who do something well do it intuitively, without needing to think the processes or tasks through.  The plodder,  having struggled to master the job at hand, may be better equipped to impart knowledge to the pupil.

Reply #20
Thanks for that insight, David. It explains why our politicans were not teachers. They do politics "intuitively, without needing to think the processes or tasks through."

Reply #21
Our politicians do politics without thinking...

[...and it looks as if someone didn't use the spell checker...]

Reply #22
Re: Those who can't, teach.
There are lots of very clever people out there who can do all sorts of things but are not gifted in the teaching area.  They may not be able to !acronym (articulate=similar to what you are experiencing now), their knowledge in a way that others can readily understand.  On the other hand, some have been gifted in this area and are invaluable as teachers.  Those who "do" are not necessarily interested in teaching, but would rather be doing. I think we need both types of folks. Just my 2-cents-worth. And, some are even like Humphrey who can both teach and do!
On the keyword search, pronouns, articles, connectors and the like are used so often that they are of no use when it comes to finding something. Searching for "and" "my" or "the" for instance would turn up so many occourances that it would effectively take the "Quick" out of "Quick Search".

Reply #23
I guess I goofed on the acronym thing. I take it there should not be a space where there is one?

Reply #24
Don't you love generalizations!
After 25 years in industry I spent another 25 in education before retirement.
A positive way to state the issue is:-
Those who can do.
Those who can do better teach.
Those who can teach better teach teachers.
At least that was my experience.

Reply #25
Well, I surely didn't mean to open this can o' worms :)

To any who felt miffed by my expression I sincerely apologise.

I was simply using it as a platform to suggest that the continual criticism of our sponsor by one contributor was indicative of likely shortcomings in his own abilities.

In response to Humphrey, Rob, David, GWB, DGF and Barry:
You guys have successfully shown that we all have had different experiences.  For myself, I received my industry training with a major telecommunications carrier as an apprentice.  This carrier had its own training schools and the instructors were drawn from the technical workforce.

Interestingly, by far the best teachers were those who were not so good at the practical side but whose theoretical knowledge was incomparable.  Thus my own experience paralleled my quote.

For myself, I feel that I am quite competent in my field, but as my staff will happily tell you, despite my own opinions I appear not to be the greatest teacher.  Thus I also meet the criteria of my quote: I can, and I do, but I cannot teach.

Again, I apologise if I have offended anyone.  That was not my intent.

Lawrie

Reply #26
"Interestingly, by far the best teachers were those who were not so good at the practical side but whose theoretical knowledge was incomparable. Thus my own experience paralleled my quote."

Once again, Lawrie expresses my meaning much more capably than I could.  Thank you, Lawrie.

Reply #27
Hi David,
HTH :)

I shall be away from my PC 'till Friday, have a good week everyone.

Lawrie

Reply #28
GWB,
Politicans are a cross between regular politicians and pelicans. That's those with the big mouth - most of them.
(Any offence strictly intended, this time.)
DGF,
Yes, I think so. And that's another place where the preview button comes in handy!

Reply #29
Ahhhhh!

Reply #30
Whenever I mis-spell and fail to use spell-check, I keep in mind that someone made a lot of money from these lyrics: "For there ain't no one for to give you no pain."

Reply #31
occourances?

Reply #32
Robert A.,
Nobody said nothing about locking no horns with no Tigers!
(Kelly's Heroes)

Reply #33
Yes. It's a portmanteau, indicating you're 'au courant' with occurrances.

Reply #34
wefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwef"location"wefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwefwef