Skip to main content
Topic: "Port sharing" problem (Read 5475 times) previous topic - next topic

"Port sharing" problem

I'm trying to record real time input, but when I press the keyboard icon in the toolbar, I get this error: "Due to port sharing, direct MIDI input to the editor is not currently available.  Would you like to go to the MIDI options to change the port sharing setup?"

It takes me to Options: MIDI, but I don't know what oort sharing is, and I can't find any references to it in the printed manual, the help files, or on this forum.

Step recording is working fine, but if I select "Active while playing" that deselects the keyboard icon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: "Port sharing" problem

Reply #1
You should never get this message when performing real-time recording. You will get it when trying to step entry via the Tools, MIDI Input Active command when Port Usage is set to While Playing. Simply change from While Playing to one of the other choices.

Reply #2
But when I set to Always or While Active, all I can do is step recording.

Reply #3
You can't do real-time recording onto a completely empty template.  First you need to open a 'spare' staff and set up a sort of 'metronome'.  E.g. in Staff Properties, set your 'spare' staff to midi channel 10.  Then select a suitable percussion sound, and step enter (say) four quarter notes per measure (four crotchets per bar) for as many measures (bars) as you want to record for.  Then go back to the beginning and enter a suitable tempo.  Now you are set up for real time recording.  Highlight the staff you want to record onto, press the 'record' button, and you will hear your 'metronome' playing back.  Count yourself in with the first bar, then start playing  in time to your 'metronome'.  You won't see your performance being entered whilst you are playing, but when you get to the end, it will suddenly appear, and you can play it back.  Hope this is clear enough to at least get you started!  I suggest you do a one-finger exercise to get the hang of it.