Skip to main content
Topic: Accordion Font (Read 11784 times) previous topic - next topic

Accordion Font

Does anyone know of or have a font for marking accordion registration changes in music (little circles with two horizontal lines in them)? I have been unable to find one so far. There appears to be some available for finale, but none that I can find for NWC. Help!

Re: Accordion Font

Reply #1
Would it work to enter a whole note, and immediately before it two separate text entries of a hyphen or an underscore, with text properties "at next note/bar" and the heights slightly different?

If you upgrade to version 2, you would be able to use half notes as well by setting the stem length to zero.  I don't know if that's available in version 1.xx

Reply #2
You might want to try Opus Special (character Alt+0252).
I'm not sure where it came from - I think it was installed when I installed a plug-in for my wife to view music at some site or other.  I noticed two new font families that day:  Opus and Inkpen.  Each has 4 or 5 fonts in it.

Reply #3
Mark, I wonder if you ever found any font containing these special accordion registration signs. I have searched for such a font but have not succeeded.

Reply #4
I'm not familiar with the symbol. But if it is very much like little circles with two horizontal lines: Would it suffice to superpose capital O with the equals sign? (Some fonts, such as webdings or wingdings, may offer a better choice of circle.)

You could place the O as text, then place the equals as text immediately following, but in a different text box. I believe that with some fooling around in alignment, you can get them to overlap.

Reply #5
Are you referring to the circles with lines and dots, as found in the second and third illustrations here?
http://www.accordions.com/index/art/stradella.shtml

I don't know of a font with those. If such a font exists, it would be possible to place the symbol in the music (say, above the staff), but it might not be possible in NWC to place the symbol at the left of the staff brace, without trickery.

Re: Accordion - Accordeon Font

Reply #6
If anyone is still interested, in my searching for other things I came across a site that has an accordeon font that may just be what's needed.

go to: http://www.capellasoft.cz/ and select the Download link - 'twill take you to their demo page which also contains some fonts available for download - one of which is called Acordeon.ttf
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Yes those are the ones. I just have to figure out how to put them in.

Reply #8
Yes those are the ones. I just have to figure out how to put them in.

You enter them as text - of course they don't affect the sound on playback, but they're there for you musician to use.

Set a user font to the accordion font, say User 3 or something like that - do this in |Page|Setup|

Then create a text entry - press <x> in your staff, type the character that corresponds with the marking you want, select the user font set earlier and voila

If you haven't used text objects much there's lots of information in the help and this forum.

One tool that can help in character selection is "Typecase" - a quick search of the web will find it - I highly recommend it.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.