Skip to main content
Topic: C sharp to D flat? (Read 4151 times) previous topic - next topic

C sharp to D flat?

After a transposition, a piece we entered shows up in C#. I'd like to have it instead in D flat. Sure, it would sound the same, but it is a psychological thing about how it falls under the fingers. If it weren't for accidentals I could simply move the staff up and change the key signature, but there are accidentals, so I don't think it works out cleanly.
Is there a way to tell the transposer to write it in D flat instead of C sharp. (I've tried to fool it by transposing up and then down again etc., but it doesn't seem to work.)
Thanks.

Re: C sharp to D flat?

Reply #1
This has already been asked and an answer has been posted (nice forum, eh?). See archived thread 194.htm where Tim Reichard gives an ingenious answer.

Reply #2
Richard,
I was interested in the reply to your topic, then I see you replied to yourself -- I guess it gets to us all sometimes. Anyway, If you look at the Forum article "To trumpets,clarinets,and saxophones", about 10 items below this one (with 10 replies at this time),you will see a reply I submitted, and submitted to NWC Wish List. With this optional method, you could(would) specify Db as your desired key sig( or ,of course C# if you so desired). This was the method used by another composer program I used for years.

Don Ruckman ruckdr@jps.net

Reply #3
Just for completeness, the procedure is:

- Force accidentals
- Select the key signature and change as needed
- Transpose 0

The transpose operation causes the notes to be respelled in the new key signature. If you just audit accidentals, the notes will not be respelled in the new key signature.

Reply #4
But... (sorry to go on about this) NWC doesn't, in general, spell accidentals correctly after transposition -see the thread "G sharp or A flat?".