Skip to main content
Topic: Alto SAX (Read 2473 times) previous topic - next topic

Alto SAX

Can help me to transpose a melody written an played in C clarinet, for a alto sax in E flat?
If anyone could help i would appreciate it! Thanks

Re: Alto SAX

Reply #1
Not sure what you mean, but basically there is one semitone difference in keys.Or if you play C1 (middle C) on a Bb clarinet it sounds Bb Concert pitch. If you want the same note from an Alto sax you play G1 (first line). Hope this helps.

Reply #2
Hi Maurizio,

you can transpose your C clarinet melody by the following steps :

1. Make sure that your staff key signature is set. You can do so by placing the cursor right to the clef signature at the beginning of your staff and then use the command "Insert", "Key Signature"

2. Place the cursor in the staff to be transposed and execute the command "Tools" "Force accidentials". This is to make sure that the transposition is executed properly.

3. Place the cursor in the staff to be transpoed and execute the command "Tools" "Transpose Staff". Eb Alto Sax transposition is value "9".

Hope that helps

Regards Tom

Reply #3
As a check, an Eb instrument will always have one more sharp (= one less flat) than a B-flat instument.

Reply #4
Clarinets are most commonly in Bb, and occasionally A.  There is also a tiny Eb Clarinet, but I don't think this is what you mean.

Are you really asking... how to transpose from a Bb Clarinet part, and that Clarinet part is in the key of C, to the correct key for Eb Alto Saxophone?

If so, you should only transpose up a perfect 5th, or 7 semitones.

Tools, Transpose Staff, +7.

In the staff properties midi tab, make sure that the resulting pitch shift is -9.  (It was already -2 for the Bb clarinet part).