Skip to main content
Topic: Separating Chords into Multi Staves (Read 3679 times) previous topic - next topic

Separating Chords into Multi Staves

Most of us will know that we can import a multi track MIDI file into NWC and represent it on a single stave.

Byt what happens if you import (say) a hymn with a melody line plus another harmony line(s) and the chords are already on a single stave?  Typically I've copied and pasted the single stave (say) three times for four part chords and then tediously worked through and removed the 'extraneous' notes from each chord, keeping only the highest note for the top staff, the second highest note for the second staff etc.

Is there a function available in NWC that could eliminate this laboorious process - or another utility in Windows?  In the event that the utility finds that the chord contains less than the specified number of elements in each chord, I'd be happy if the program left this for later manual dissection; from my perspective it could be a fairly mindless routine.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Regards, John

Re: Separating Chords into Multi Staves

Reply #1
In the Scriptorium (link from NWC main page) you can find a software utility called "chord splitter." Try it.

Reply #2
Thanks Robert, that's nifty little utility which will save me heaps of time.

Regards, John

Reply #3
Thanks Robert, that's nifty little utility which will save me heaps of time.

Regards, John

Reply #4
Apologies for double posting.  The Win 9X version works very well.  The documentation refers to a QBASIC and DOS version.  Could anyone please point me to a URL for these?

Regards, John

Reply #5
QBasic is a very 'old' microsoft programming language used when there was only DOS around i.e. before Windows of any version.  Try  MSN.Com and search on QBASIC.  cheers