Skip to main content
Topic: American Tune (Read 3524 times) previous topic - next topic

American Tune

does anyone have the nwc file or midi file for
Paul Simon's American Tune in a SATB or SAB version?

thanks
Mike

Re: American Tune

Reply #1
The basic melody is actually a church hymn, in the public domain. I have sung it, with the religious words. Don't recall its standard melody name - I believe it goes back to about the 18th century, Northern Europe. If someone recollects the melody name (or if Paul Simon's album mentions it), I am sure you can find a MIDI by searching among hymn resources.

Reply #2
The English title is "O Sacred Head Sore Wounded", and it's used by J.S. Bach in his St. Matthew Passion in several places. I don't know if Bach wrote the tune or just harmonised it. Martin Luther may have written it, now that I think of it. Simon's version quotes from the tune, but adds some other melodic material and of course puts his own spin on it.

Reply #4
I could have sworn that tune was called "O Sacred Head Now Wounded."

Reply #5
There are many translations of the original German O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden, actually translated by by P Gerhardt from the even more original Latin Salve caput cruentatum.

The tune is by H.L. Hassler (1564-1612) considerably before Bach's time. Bach harmonised it.

Interestingly, the link above gives a slightly different arrangement of the harmony to that which I know. That version can be found at

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/s/osacredh.htm

together with a more detailed history.

Reply #6
That's the version that I know, exceptthetempoismuchtoofast.