Skip to main content
Topic: Help transposing flute to Alto sax (Read 5053 times) previous topic - next topic

Help transposing flute to Alto sax

Hey... I have been looking at some of the other topics on transposing... but am not quite sure I am doing this right... I am transposing music for a wedding and don't know how to transpose flute to alto sax.. I know that flute is in C and Alto Sax is E flat... If anyone could help I would really appreciate it!

Re: Help transposing flute to Alto sax

Reply #1
Start by making sure the flute part as entered in NWC has a key signature, even if it's C major.

Use Tools, Transpose, +9 semitones.

To make the playback remain in concert pitch, make sure to check the "update staff play back tranposition" box.

For a validity check, the new key signature should have 3 more sharps or 3 less flats after the tranposition than before.

Reply #2
You might also want to transpose the flute part (or part of it) down an octave - flutes tend to sound better if written an octave higher than you'd expect - but saxophones don't!  You need to use your ears.

To transpose an octave, either use Tools, Transpose, -12 semitones (with the "update staff play back transposition" box UN-checked, or simply select the notes you want to move and shift them down seven times.

Cheers, Ewan

Reply #3
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help... this website is so helpful!