Skip to main content
Topic: Crescendoes on single notes (Read 2989 times) previous topic - next topic

Crescendoes on single notes

How do  you make a single note louder?  Normally the note has to change for the volume to increase, so I couldn't have a whole note start at P and end up Forte if there is no break in the note.  it just plays that note P and then the next one will be Forte...

~¢Wlokos¢~

Re: Crescendoes on single notes

Reply #1
Insert a Multi Point Controler just before the note you wish to crescendo.

Set to "Control" to VOLUME.

Set the "Style" to LINEAR SWEEP.

Set the "Time Resolution" to whatever note increment during which you wish the volume to change.  (i.e., change volume BASED ON each quarter increment, eighth increment, etc.)

Set the "Sweep Resolution" the number of note increments (how many quarter notes, eighth notes, etc.) to play before changing volume by a volume increment.

Set the "Initial" volume to your choice of beginning volume.

Click on "Setting 2" (and 3, 4, etc., if you want these) otherwise, setting 2 will be your ENDING VOLUME.

Set "Time Offset" to your choice. (How many notes it takes to get from the "Initial" volume setting to the volume setting specified in "Setting 2".

Reply #2
Better still, set Controller to 'Expression' rather than 'Volume', because that way you don't affect the  volume of the staff/track relative to the other staves/tracks.
Don't forget to re-set the controller to its usual value (default = 127) afterwards.

Reply #3
>Insert a Multi Point Controler just before the note you wish to crescendo.

Don't forget to set the dynamic of the first note to that required for the last note. You can 'disguise' it by over riding the velocity. e.g. p(92,-)

>Better still, set Controller to 'Expression' rather than >'Volume', because that way you don't affect the volume of the >staff/track relative to the other staves/tracks.

With respect, that is nonsense. Expression is a MIDI controller in the same way as Volume. In any case, volume is far easier to reset without the use of a further mpc. Simply over-ride the volume in the next dynamic.

Reply #4
Thanks.  I've got it working now.

~¢Wlokos¢~