Skip to main content
Topic: cymbals and note over rest (Read 3816 times) previous topic - next topic

cymbals and note over rest

I got my NWC CD a couple of days ago.  I will install it soon.

I want to know how I place a note over a rest sign, as in the echo bells in your CAVERNS music file.  What I need to do is put a whole note above an eighth rest followed by seven notes that belong to the same phrase as the eighth rest.

I also want to know about the sounds in your DRUMREF file.  I would like to use the cymbals (for the above question, the crash cymbal would be the whole note followed by the cymbal tapping).

I went to your archives on drums and I don't know if the answer is there. I did read about the "x" notation for drums.  Is is possible for me to do that?  Otherwise I have the foot pedal, drums and cymbals all separated on their own staff, using three octaves (and the crash cymbal will have to be another note).

Re: cymbals and note over rest

Reply #1
The x-heads are easy - just press q until the x-heads are highlighted in the toolbar.  It's a toggle, so you need to press q a couple more times to get back to regular notes.

You can layer the staffs for appearance.  Go to View, Allow Layering, and then go to the upper staffs and press F2, Layer with Next Staff.  You may find it finicky to line up flags and beams on 8th and 16th notes if you do this.  Try either adjusting the note stem length (note properties) or combining the notes as if they were chords.  The help menu tells you how.

The drum sounds (the particular drum) usually depend on the vertical position of the written note.  If you're not getting the right type of drum, if the note is on a separate staff, you can fiddle around with the transposition of the staff until you find the best one.  Use F2 for that, rather than Tools,Transpose.

Reply #2
What about the cymbals?  It would be easier if they were on the "i" for instrument on the keyboard.  Is there a way to get them?  I am using the agogo for the cymbal and the reverse cymbal for the crash.  I would rather have the real thing.

Reply #3
The cymbals are on the top line f of the treble clef, channel 10. For the standard drum kit choose instrument patch 0 (zero) or for the orchestral drum kit, choose String Ensemble 1 (48) on the staff properties.

Tina

Reply #4
Thanks for the help.  I figured it out before I went back Online.  What I did was go back to the DRUMREF file and realize that the F natural is the cymbal crash.  I assume that the only way I can use this and the other sounds on DRUMREF is go to FILE, NEW, then select the "rhythm" template instead of "general".  Then I put the piano, guitar, etc. below.

Reply #5
Not neccesary to do that. Just add an extra staff to your working file and assign it to channel 10.

Tina

Reply #6
Can anybody help me - I am unable to  get the x-heads for cymbals.

What am I doing wrong??
I do have the lates update 1.75b

When I'm using the q-key nothing happens??
I shall be very glad to hear from you.

Reply #7
Maybe I misunderstand your question?

NWC version 1 (including 1.75b) does not have built-in X-head note capability. That feature has been added in NWC version 2, currently in public beta test.

It is possible to place X-head notes in NWC1.xx, but only as text items (that is, not as playable notes). This is not convenient for most scores. It is also possible to change ALL note heads in your score to X-head, by using a  substitution for the NWCV15 font. This procedure is explained somewhere in the Scriptorium.

If you plan to use X-head notes, your best bet is to try NWC version 2.

Keep in mind that how a note APPEARS has no relationship to how it SOUNDS when played as MIDI. For percussion, how it SOUNDS depends on where you place the note on the staff, and which channel you assign it.