Skip to main content
Topic: 1st/2nd endings on D.S. in a Latin chart (Read 4813 times) previous topic - next topic

1st/2nd endings on D.S. in a Latin chart

After searching the forum, I could not find an answer to this problem.
I have a Latin chart that I have entered into NWC which has
1st & 2nd endings after a D.S. al Coda, and I can get it to play "[abbr=skip the 1st ending on the D.S.]normally[/abbr]" by using a 1st ending and a 2nd/Default ending, but I've always been under the impression that in a Latin chart, both endings after a D.S. al Coda should be taken.
I cannot get NWC to do this, however.  Is there some solution which I am overlooking?

Re: 1st/2nd endings on D.S. in a Latin chart

Reply #1
NWC executes only the Default ending after a DS but before a To Coda. Once the To Coda is executed, full special ending behaviour is restored. See the REPEAT4 sample file for an example.

Reply #2
I looked at the REPEAT4 sample file, but it gives an example of the "normal" way to handle this.  What I need is to be able to make it play both the 1st ending and the 2nd ending after the D.S.
I've tried calling them 1.D. and 2.D., 1.3. and 2.D., and many variations of those, and I've tried using local repeats (as per a "solution" from another thread), but all to no avail.  If it were just a MIDI file that I need, I would copy & paste the necessary section where it needs to go to make it sound properly, but it has to look right, too.

Reply #3
Suppose the ordinary notation is;

A(MO)(Segno)B(1.)C(MC)(2.)D(To Coda)E(DS al Coda)(Coda)F

Where MO=Master repeat open, MC=Master repeat close

Try this one;

A(MO)B(1.3.)C(MC)(2.4.)D(2.)E(MC)(4.)F

Then you get

A-B-C-B-D-E-B-C-B-D-F

Unnecessary special ending marks should be set invisible.
And you can insert 'To Coda','DS al Coda' as texts.
Segno and Coda marks can be put there.

Reply #4
A(MO)(Segno)B(1.)C(MC)(2.)D(To Coda)E(DS al Coda)(Coda)F
yields:  A-B-C-B-D-E-A
A(MO)B(1.3.)C(MC)(2.4.)D(2.)E(MC)(4.)F
yields:  A-B-C-B-D-E-B-C-B-D-F (which is what you wrote)
and everything does play in the correct order (thanks!), so now I need to insert a D.S. al Coda, a To Coda, and a Coda with the symbols attached, and a $egno alone and make them look "real."
I'll have to see how that turns out...

Thanks

Reply #5
Hi Evan K

The insertion of Segno or Coda mark doesn't affect the flow of the play unless there exists D.S. or To Coda.

And in this case, To Coda can be put before "E" along with Coda because D.S. is not executed.

The only problem is "D.S.$ al Coda" to insert with the Segno symbol.
Why don't you make it with combination of the text and Segno mark? This Segno has no effect probably.

The master repeat close after "E" can be set invisible and you can insert a single or double bar next to the master repeat close instead.
Unnecessary special endings should be set invisible as I mentioned before.