Skip to main content
Topic: numbering lyric verses (Read 2219 times) previous topic - next topic

numbering lyric verses

I stumbled upon a solution to verse numbering:
1. enter a note after time signature
2. under visibility choose never
3. then, make that invisible note your target for verse numbers (1., 2., etc.)

That way they're all aligned.

Re: numbering lyric verses

Reply #1
Potentially neat solution.

Traditionally, I have used Lyrics, Configuration, and chosen alignment to "Start of Accidental/Note", and then type in "1._" etc. immediately before the first word of the given lyric without a space. However, your solution offers a further alternative and got me to thinking (uh oh!).

Having a hidden note (even if muted) could present some issues in regard to the number of beats in a measure. Some further thoughts.

First potential solution or refinement, at least if verses begin at the beginning of a song: have a hidden rest in an introductory pickup measure (with a "Master Repeat Open" immediately thereafter), and under rest properties, choose "always" for the lyric syllable.

Even a better solution: use a hidden, tied grace note of the same pitch before the note in question. Both the grace note and the main note should be marked "always" as to lyric syllable (such that the lyric number appears below the grace note and the lyric begins at the main note). Since the grace note merely "borrows" time from the subsequent note, would not foul up the meter.

Reply #2
The grace note should also be muted.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
If the grace note is muted and tied, the main note will not sound.