Skip to main content
Topic: Printing problems (Read 4029 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing problems

I have used the music software, Noteworthy Composer for several years. I have reasonably
recently downloaded and installed the latest version 1.75a. I have just
developed a problem that I have previously not experienced. On files imported from previous versions of Noteworthy, lines are liable to get missed off from the stave when the file is printed. This problem does not show up using print preview. If I construct a file from new it seems to be ok. Updating old Noteworthy files seems to cause the problem. Printing from a Cannon printer is fine. The problem only occurs with my HP deskjet 710c for which there seems to be no new printer driver I can download.

Re: Printing problems

Reply #1
Try setting the page margins to be bigger.  If the settings in NoteWorthy Composer are smaller than the minimum margin required by the printer, some of the staff (especially at the bottom) will just be missing.

If specific lines of the staves are missing in the context of a page, it could be that a few nozzles in the print cartridge are clogged (causing the line not to print).  Try running the cartridge cleaning routine provided by HP.

Reply #2
Two things:

Version 1.75 a is not the latest version.

If the problem is unique to one printer, the problem is most likely caused my your margin settings, print driver, or dirt/faults with the printer.

Reply #3
I have cleaned printer heads and no there is no problem there. If I alter the printer size option, the staves appear fine. However, there is no way of telling before printing, through print preview, whether or not the print will be successful.

There appears to be no updated printer driver for my printer HP710c.

Is there a way that I can get around this problem without a) having to take my file to another computer or b) sizing my file on a trial and error basis that I have no way or verifying before printing whether or
not a problem will arise.

I am using Win 98. Is there a later version of Noteworthy than 1.75a that I can download for Win 98?

Reply #4
The only time I encountered something like this (not with that printer), the problem was that the printer DPI was set too low. When I set the DPI to higher resolution, all was OK.

If you don't have that choice, try this: Create a PDF file of your music, and print the PDF. The method of anti-aliasing used by PDF is probably different than what you get by going directly from NWC to the printer driver.

You can make free PDF files using PDFcreator (a single self-installer) available from soureforge.net.

Reply #5
We had the same problem with v1.75a. The problem was indeed in the print driver settings as suggested by Robert A. The only point I would add is that print drivers call resolution many different things, depending on the manufacturer. Epson call it dpi and Canon calls it Image Quality. Start at the highest (and slowest) setting and work down.