Skip to main content
Topic: need to crop a file (Read 1834 times) previous topic - next topic

need to crop a file

ive loaded a midi file and need to crop off the beginning.  i cant figure out how to select multiple staves at once.  ive tried one at a time but there are probably 16 of them and i keep messing up.  thanks for any help.

Re: need to crop a file

Reply #1
Rob,

There is no "multiple-staff select" that I'm aware of.  This is how I do it:

-  make sure bar (measure) numbering is on,
-  do the top staff LAST
-  find the bar number you are cutting TO (inclusive)

For each other staff:
-  GoTo (CTRL-G) the bar at the end of the section you are going to crop
-  (Shift-Home) to highlight the section that will be cut, adjusting with (shift-arrows) to un-highlight the clef, key signature etc.
-  (delete) or (backspace)
-  arrow down (or up) to the next staff

If a staff has a prominent feature that will help you make sure your selecting the right bit, you might want to leave that staff to later as well.  (This is one reason why you leave the top staff to last - you can see the bar numbers.  The other reason you leave the top staff to last is that if you don't, the GoTo won't match what you see.)

You might want to include something prominent.  Sometimes I put in a text expression in Title size, such as "TO HERE" and copy it to all staves.  I once used two alto clefs in all parts.  It's best if the inclusion goes in just before the end of where you want to cut, so it will go with the delete.  Or, if you want to be sure, put it in after the cut section, and then when you've finished you will be able to check that the inclusion is at the beginning of each staff.  You can then delete each one later with a single delete key-press.

If you ever lose sight of the prominent/top staves, just temporarily hide the ones you've already done.

To finish, crop the prominent staves, and then the top one.

Cheers,
Ewan