Skip to main content
Topic: keyboard entry (Read 7957 times) previous topic - next topic

keyboard entry

Hi, I'm using a Rolang JV-50 keyboard as input-device.
Somehow I don't seem to get the duration of the note into
Noteworthy. The pitch is ok, and even the instrument settings
get imported. Changing the patch also changes the default
note-duration setting.

I'm I missing something?
Jos

Re: keyboard entry

Reply #1
Jos,
Are you using the 'Record' or the 'Midi input active'
buttons? The latter is only step entry. To get real-time
entry you have to use the 'Record' button, and play the
piece 'blind' into a buffer, before importing it as a MIDI
file into NWC. You need thoroughly to read the appropriate
Help file to get it right! Best of luck,
Peter

Reply #2
It needn't be blind. You can record direct to NWC whilst a rhythm track (for example) is playing. With appropriate tweaking of Midi import parameters (as NWC uses this to translate what you played into NWC notation) you can get basic notation working very well and looking good. Alternatively, with the right tweaking, you can get music that sounds good but looks messy!

A

Reply #3
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, Andrew. What I mean by
'blind' is that you don't see the notes appear on the stave
until you've finished recording. At least that's how I
understand it to work. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected! It can look very messy can't it! It's amazing how inaccurate one's timing is in practice. A very good idea to have a metronomic rhythm track playing while you record.

Peter

Reply #4
Yes I know I am using a very old "topic" but I have the same question.

I want to directly record what I play so I can listen it later etc.
The problem is that when I actually click the "Record" button, it stops after a second and doesn't really record.

Other people advised to create some kind of sheet music (but without the notes) so I can fill it with my own music while playing. That won't work either.

Can someone explain to me, in simple steps, what I have to do to simply click the "Record" button and then play on my keyboard/digital piano and then see it as sheet music. It doesn't matter how the sheet music looks. The only thing is that I want to  have a midi file which sounds exactly like what I played.

Thank you a lot,

Erik

Reply #5
When you use real-time recording (which is what you are doing), NWC needs some pre-existing music to play, so that it can tell how long your notes are.

The easiest way is to create a temporary new staff with a simple drum beat.  Don't forget this should be channel 10.  Add one bar of simple beats, then copy and paste until you have more than enough.  To speed things up, after you've pasted a few times, copy everything so that you are pasting multiple bars.  You can repeat this short-cut, and in no time you'll have what you need.

When doing real-time recording, I find it's really good to slow things down, to much slower than the required tempo.  Insert a tempo mark at the beginning, for the speed you want to record at.

You might find after a while, the first part of the recording is good, but you want to add more at the end.  NWC always wants to start at the beginning, so insert a very fast tempo marking (dotted minim = 750) is very fast, then a few bars before the end, insert your slow tempo marking.

The other thing to remember, is that you can build up a score.  For piano, I usually play in just the left hand first.  When there are multiple rhythms on the same staff, I try to get the busier one first, and then just add in the other notes in the normal note-entry ways.  For larger groups, I try to do the bass first.

Once you have enough parts recorded, you can turn off the drum track - or even delete it is it's not needed.

One last option - if you're going to have a complex drum track anyway, it might be easier to notate it in full first (as there are often repeated bars, which you simply copy and paste), and use your final drum track instead of the artificial one.

Reply #6
Actually, I've found the easiest way to create the click track is just to create a 1-measure phrase (bass clef, channel 10, C# right below the staff, 4 quarter notes), then use local repeats to keep it going, since local repeats allow you to specify how many times to repeat it.  Note that local repeats only go up to 250 repetitions, so if you piece is expected to be longer than that, well just create a two bar phrase and repeat it instead.

Then record to your heart's content.

John

Reply #7
That is right. The 'Pavane', on the Scripto, has a hidden click-track exactly as you describe it.

Reply #8
Thank you very much guys, that really helped a lot!