Skip to main content
Topic: Transposing from one key to other!!??? :o) (Read 4559 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposing from one key to other!!??? :o)

Hi,
I am about to sequence an entire musical for midi which will envolve a full orchestra, and when I get the orchestra part - there will be a Bb Clarinet part and I'd like to know how to get the Bb Clarinet part into the key that the rest of the instruments are in. Say the key was ## (2 sharps) that means the clarient part would be in #### (4 sharps) how do I transpose this?? Please help!!

Thanks

Madgewick :o)

Re: Transposing from one key to other!!??? :o)

Reply #1
Try Help | Search for Help on... Transpose

But briefly,
Tools | Transpose Staff - this will "respell" every note, as well as change key on any key signatures. Bb clarinets' music is written 2 semis higher (so a Bb for a C instrument is written as a C for clarinet). When you use the Transpose Staff tool, you can ask for the staff to sound 2 semis lower, to compensate for this so that the clari will sound correct.

Andrew

Reply #2
Note that music for a Bb bass clarinet is usually written a ninth higher than it sounds - 14 semitones.

Stephen

Reply #3
please i need help
I'm an eight grader and my teacher wants us to wright an easy learing pice for three diffrent instruments and i don't now how we have to have it done tomarrow i play b flat clarinet i want to do it for trumpite and flute will some one help me!!!!!!!!

Reply #4
I need to transpose a melody line from piano to trumpet. If
a C is being played on the piano, what is played on the
trumpet?

Reply #5
Almost certainly the wrong note!

Reply #6
I THINK this table is correct for a piano C

Instrument Note
---------- ----
Bb Trumpet D
C Trumpet C
D Trumpet Bb
Eb Trumpet A
G (Pic.) F
A (Pic.) Eb

Reply #7
In fact the rule is rather simple. Just shift the melody in the other direction than the instrument does. The
If the instrument "sounds" 2 semitones lower (Bb trumpet for ex.) then transpose the score 2 semitones higher.
2nd example: a trombone in Eb. This means that a C played on it will sound as Bb. 3 semitones higher. So you transpose the score 3 semitones lower.

Note that many instrument are not written to the right octave, so you may need to transpose the score an octave higher/lower (Piccolo, Cor d'harmonie...). This can be quickly done selecting all the staff (home, shift+end) and moving it (Ctrl+UpOrDown Arrow) 7 times.

Hope I've been clear :-)

Reply #8
Looking for "still got the blues"by gary moore transposed from key of "D" to key of "g" for guitar,help!!!!!