Skip to main content
Topic: A question from a marcher... (Read 7661 times) previous topic - next topic

A question from a marcher...

I'm a little new at this and the answer is probably staring me in the face and laughing.  I'm more into the marching side of high school band.  I wrote a drum feature, and it's cool and all, but it's just not the same without the marching drums.  Is there any way to get the sound of marching snares with kevlar heads, marching basses and a set of quints?

Re: A question from a marcher...

Reply #1
I would guess that 99.9% of the musicians here don't know what you mean. But whatever it is: The sound produced is determined by your sound card (or software synth, as the case may be), not by the music program (NWC) that creates the notes. If someone has digitized the sounds you require, then it is a matter of finding them.

Snare drums are particularly hard to handle in programs that use a sound card (with or without the intermediary of MIDI). That includes just about every music notation program. The reason is that each tap on the drum terminates the previous tap, which is unlike the real world. So drumming has a more mechanical sound than in the real world. There are ways around that, but it requires expertise with external audio editing.

Reply #2
You may want to try using Taiko Drum (not on channel 10) for the marching basses, and Melodic Tom (also not on channel 10) for the quints, and Synth Drum (also not on channel 10) for the snares, although these last ones don't sound at all like kevlar on my soundcard...

...guess I'm in the .1%...

Reply #3
I'd look for a soundfont that gives you the sound you want there are a bunch and then use that in place of the aforementioned taiko, melodic toms etc..
of course then you're creating a .wav file which you will have to mix with the rest of your score as oh... this may be more trouble than you want to go through.
j

Reply #4
Thanks Tom.  That was originally what I did, but I guess I will just have to do without.  And Mr P.Pool... #1.My guess would be that you are one of the 60% who don't know what I'm talking about, but thinks they know everything about everything.  #2. It clearly states in the subject box that this is a marching question, and if you aren't a marcher, you don't know what I'm talking about and if you don't know what I'm talking about I don't want you answering my question.  #3. If you can't tell the difference between marching drums, concert drums, or other drums... you have problems.  So I guess what I'm trying to say is thaks, but no thanks.  I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I'm not a dumby.

Reply #5
Ok Mr. P Pool,

Mister Music Man is my section leader, and he asked a simple question..How do I get marching drum sounds on noteworthy? and Mr. smarty pants P. Pool had to go off and say that 99.9 percent of drummers dont know what your talking about. Well, Mr. P. Poll, it sounds like you dont know what your talking about either, and if you ask me it sounds like you dont know what your doing!

thanks and have a good day

Reply #6
Hey, boys, play nice.
Try to be civil.
And make sure that you're spelling is correct...

Reply #7
...you're spelling correctly...  ??
...your spelling is correct...  ??
Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Reply #8
The choice of you're was intentional.
Read the previous reply.

Reply #9
P. Pool said that 'I would guess that 99.9% of the musicians'... not 99.9% of the drummers! So there is the question of careful reading as well as the matter of careful writing. In my book, P. Pool gave a clear answer that will be useful to other readers of the thread, and there's no dustly reason for grinding him in the earth. Or earthly reason for grinding him in the dust.
RDdH

Reply #10
99% of the MUSICIANS, as written!

Reply #11
Oh, remind Mr. Music Man that capital P. stands for "Pool."

Reply #12
(Working backwards)
And that rhymes with T, and that stands for "Trouble"!

Reply #13
... right here, in River City.

Reply #14
What I said about musicians and drummers applied to this: 'Mr. smarty pants P. Pool had to go off and say that 99.9 percent of drummers ...' so I acted in your defence.

Reply #15
Understood. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to Indiana and talk to them about starting a new marching band.

Reply #16
Perhaps there are some who, by virtue of nationality or youth, do not understand the joke. It is in reference to the American musical, "The Music Man," famous for "76 trombones," and other well-known songs.

Reply #17
...Which still begs the question:
"How could any pool table ever hope to compete with a gold trombone?"
Sorry - I'll stop now!

Reply #18
Writing from England and knowing nothing about marching bands except that they exist, I am disappointed to see the level of rudeness exhibited by some of the people in this forum thread.  Please assure me that this is not usual in your nation.
Tony

Reply #19
Tony: Alas, not only is it usual in "this nation," unless I miss my guess, some of the rude pseudonyms come from persons in your nation, or from another nation to which your nation once transported some of its less illustrious citizens. No problem.