Skip to main content
Topic: Newsgroup (Read 4336 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Newsgroup

Reply #1
This is a proprietary newsgroup hosted at internet-company only.
When you news://** you address your designated primary (maybe all designated) news server(s). Unless the server addressed carries the ** group it tells you no such group. You should be able to link the group from the forum page or you can add the internet-company as a news server and subscibe to ntworthy.nwc.

Reply #2
What news-reader do you use?

Netscape's built-in newsreader works fine, as does Internet Explorer's.
Agent and Free Agent by Forte (recently taken over, I hear) need configuration (which is a little complicated), as it doesn't understand the above notation.
I don't know if AOL provide a newsreader.

Andrew

Reply #4
Yeah, but have some pity on those of us behind firewalls.
We aren't allowed to access NNTP servers over the net, so
the Noteworthy newsgroup is inaccessible to us.

Reply #5
Yes, we've discussed pros and cons before. I guess this is why we have both the newsgroup AND the forum for those that can't access the newsgroup.
Public newsgroups can be very lossy and slow in propagation, which stifles and muddles conversation, not to mention spammers etc. Moderating the newsgroup normally introduces a 24 hour delay in posts. These are all fixed by going to a private server, with the down side that security mechanisms may prevent that access. Can you talk to your ISP about allowing this one NNTP server with its dedicated newsgroups?

A

Reply #6
Yes, we've discussed pros and cons before. I guess this is why we have both the newsgroup AND the forum for those that can't access the newsgroup.
Public newsgroups can be very lossy and slow in propagation, which stifles and muddles conversation, not to mention spammers etc. Moderating the newsgroup normally introduces a 24 hour delay in posts. These are all fixed by going to a private server, with the down side that security mechanisms may prevent that access. Can you talk to your ISP about allowing this one NNTP server with its dedicated newsgroups?

A