Skip to main content
Topic: ABC to noteworthy, tune archives (Read 4060 times) previous topic - next topic

ABC to noteworthy, tune archives

I would like to own a basic collection of folk tunes in noteworthy format without typing them all in. Are there noteworthy files I could download? Alternatively I have found huge collections of folk tunes in abc format. Can these be converted to noteworthy and if so where do I look for the software? I had a brief look in the archive but ran out of patience. Is it possible to search the archive as I guess these questions are answered in there somewhere.

Re: ABC to noteworthy, tune archives

Reply #1
You could convert ABC to Noteworthy by using a program to first convert ABD to Midi, and then importing the midi. Most folk tunes are simple enough that this should work fairly well.

Andrew

Reply #4
Well, I really goofed that up. I guess this forum doesn't take html links.
Anyhow, that link to the ABC Home Page is http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/
You can use a program like ABCMUS to convert ABC tunes to MIDI, and then import the MIDI into Noteworthy.

The Digital Tradition Folk Song Database is at http://www.mudcat.org
You can download the entire Digital Tradition database, which includes some 6,500 folk lyrics, plus over 3,500 tunes in SongWright format. The tunes are available online in MIDI format and you can download them one-by-one if you only want a few. One you import the MIDI into Noteworthy, you can paste the lyrics from the Digital Tradition into Noteworthy. You do have to hyphenate the lyrics by hand, I guess. the Digital Tradition has a lively forum, and you're welcome to join us there.
-Joe Offer-

Reply #5
I knocked up a small windows prog to convert Songwright to Noteworthy if that would help? Works fine on all DT files I have tried it on, lyrics and all.

Reply #6
Actually, the forum does take HTML links, but not coded the way you do it with a text editor. See the "Hints" link, located just about the reply text entry box, when you make a forum reply.