Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with staccato? (Read 4872 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with staccato?

Further to earlier posts titled "Timing errors" I think the problem is that Noteworthy doesn't understand staccato. In the case where importing a file with resolution 8th length and 8th rests, Noteworthy makes it go to 32nds or 64ths or whatever.
The solution would be if Noteworthy could have a smoothing feature when it imports a MIDI file, OR if it would just add a dot to say that the note is staccato.
What do you suggest? <b> :-) </b>

Re: Problem with staccato?

Reply #1
NWC will not mark any notes as staccato during an import. YOu would need to do this manually. If you want to prevent a note from unnecessarily being imported as a short note, like a 64th note, then increase the rest resolution to something like a quarter note, or even a half note. This will prevent note events from being notated as a small note followed by a small rest. However, it will not prevent small notes where they are actually necessary.

Reply #2
Okay. Would it be possible to add an option to the screens where you import MIDI files, so that short notes could be written as the note resolution you have selected with a staccato dot?
This would stop the MIDI-to-note length converter writing notes as 64ths etc.

I am extremely happy with NoteWorthy. This tiny addition or some smoothing option would make it perfect.

Reply #3
Yes, but....

This might not meet the needs of some musical purists (who, me? pure? never!) as a staccato crotchet (half note?) generally ought to have a longer duration than say a non-staccato semiquaver (eigth note?).

Having said that, one might get a closer approximation to what is required using a configurable algorithm like

note shorter than X = staccato dotted X
where X = half/quarter/eiigth etc note

and save some editing.

Reply #4
For this one MIDI I am trying to import, I know the notes are already quantized to eights.

(import settings)
If I set the res to quarters I lose half the information.
If I set to the res to eights I get what you see at:
http://www.flexi.net.au/~acelogix/ntw.gif

If this problem can be solved it would more than halve my work around time.
Has anyone else had the problem or is it just me using another sequencer and importing the MIDI into Noteworthy?

Recording straight into Noteworthy is not an option either.

Appreciating your help.