Skip to main content
Topic: Some simple Midi questions (Read 4580 times) previous topic - next topic

Some simple Midi questions

: I have a Kawai digital piano and decided to use it's two mini ports in the back (midi in, midi out). So i baught a Midiman UNO, USB/Midi converter, and got CakeWalk. I cannot record music to cakewalk from the digital piano.

: Some questions:

: - There are 3 light on the midiman, USB, Midi IN, Midi Out. All of them light up except for the midi-out. Why wouldnt that light up?

: - Here is my set up: USB to Midiman converter, which splits into two midi cables, which i plugged into their respective ports in the back of the Kawai digital piano.

: - It seems as if cake walk and my computer does not recognize the Kawai Digital piano at all.

: I would appreciate it so much if you could help me out

Re: Some simple Midi questions

Reply #1
I don't have that particular setup, BUT the most common error is that the midi cables are switched. Try reversing what gets connected to what.

Second most common error is lack of power at the piano keyboard (e.g. battery powered, dead batteries).

If that doesn't help, then you may have to ask at the suppliers for your midiman or keyboard. Both NWC and Cakewalk do work with midi, yet the problem you describe sounds like it is strictly a matter of hardware.

Reply #2
Thanks Robert! I finally figured out how to record from the Kawai into Cakewalk. The Kawai digital piano i have only has 8 tones or patches i guess they are called. I believe cakewalk has several hundred patches.  How would i make the digital piano play, for example, drums or trumpet?

Reply #3
I think you'd rather go the kakewalk site for this :)

Reply #4
Actually, I myself wondered about something like that, five years ago.

Not every MIDI keyboard is "general" MIDI. If your keyboard is not touch-sensitive (sound depends on how quickly and hard you touch the key, just like a real piano) then it is probably not general MIDI.

One possibility is that your piano does not send MIDI patch info - or recieve it. No matter what "instrument" your keyboard plays, it may simply send generic (piano) MIDI back and forth. In other words, the change of sound may strictly internal to the keyboard. That's how it works with my el-cheapo Yamaha: It does MIDI, but not general MIDI.

On the other hand, if your keyboard really is general MIDI, then Marsu is right: Your question would have to be answered by the other software supplier, since that's what is involved.